Centre College is a premier national liberal arts college that serves approximately 1,400 students and provides a supportive community and a flexible, personal academic path to a meaningful life and career. Founded in 1819, Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, students, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $420 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre welcomes and supports diversity. The College strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated, where individuals can exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view our Statement of Community.
Located in Danville, KY, the historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky.
For information concerning the College, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Serves as leader of the editorial team and editor of the College magazine, Centrepiece, and is responsible for assigning and writing copy and editorial marketing for other print materials in support of recruitment and stewardship. Individual reports to the Vice President of Strategic Marketing & Communications.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides leadership for telling the Centre story to alumni and prospective students through production of the quarterly Centrepiece magazine and the College’s recruitment and marketing materials.
- Responsible for upholding and updating the messaging, tone, and voice in Centre’s brand manual and style guide and helps maintain consistency for College-wide print materials and web content.
- Manages staff who work on marketing, social media, and public relations writing.
- Collaborates with the Vice President for Strategic Marketing and Communications and the Creative Director to align the organization around brand and marketing objectives and manage communications resources accordingly.
- Produces key engagement communications. Research, assign, plan, edit and/or write College content and marketing, including websites, e-newsletters, and other mass-marketing efforts.
- Work with writers, academic leaders, and other colleagues to create materials in support of strategic priorities and marketing.
- Research and be familiar with complex institutional subject matter and academic priorities. Describe priorities in clear, persuasive language, and present concise rationales for marketing.
- Maintain a clear understanding of all communications goals, strategies, and messages and articulate this information to a lay audience.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across departments as well as alumni, donors, faculty, students, volunteers, and outside vendors.
- Appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith, gender, neurodiversity, race and sexual orientation.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required. At least four years of experience in an editorial capacity preferred. Experience with staff supervision required.
Knowledge and Skills
Outstanding writing, editing, creative, and organizational skills.
Limited pushing, pulling, and lifting (not to exceed 20 lbs.). Mobility on campus necessary.
Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at https://www.centre.edu/offices/human-resources/career-opportunities (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. For full consideration, application materials must be submitted online by July 15, 2022.