Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Graphic Designer plays an integral role on the Digital & Multimedia team to produce beautiful, engaging graphics that tell our story, make our programs successful, and inspire grassroots Democrats across the country to take action to flip state legislatures.
This role reports to the Creative Director. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. This position is eligible to be permanently remote or for flexible work arrangements.
The Graphic Designer is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
- RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs the risk. We evaluate, learn, and improve our strategy, both when the risks pay off and when they do not.
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
- Design for a wide variety of projects, including email graphics, social media graphics, infographics, merchandise, advertising etc.
- Work laterally across teams to execute DLCC organizational graphic design needs, including documents, reports, invitations, and presentation decks.
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand the needs of a given design project.
- Create work that has a high visual impact and meets the objectives of the project, be it engagement or fundraising.
- Manage multiple projects from concept through completion.
- Be responsible for quality assurance of all products that are deployed, including QA and managing approval process.
- Participate in brainstorming and strategy discussions to develop communications campaigns and tactics that include email engagement, social media, web, video, and other aspects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The organization has a clean and consistent visual presence and is driven by creative, original, and progressive design.
- Final products are produced timely and accurately.
- Design is integrated in all outbound communications, and a proactive stance is taken toward providing assistance and guidance toward graphic design.
- Proficient knowledge and experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite, in particular InDesign and Photoshop, to produce compelling, effective, and inspiring graphic products.
- 2-3 years of prior relevant experience in graphic design, with an applicable understanding of graphic design best practices, and a hunger to keep up with the latest trends, technology, and effective practices.
- A demonstrated portfolio of design products, either digital or print, that shows off your design talent, creativity, and vision.
- An eagerness to learn political design, and an ability to work well with your teammates on a larger team.
- A strong creative eye and attention to detail.
- Campaign experience is a plus, but not required.
- Must share a serious ambition to help Democrats win. That means unpredictable workflows, rapid response, and an ability to work quickly, scrappy, and nimble.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders.
- To enable an individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of the position (graphic design), reasonable accommodation for type of computer (Microsoft or Apple OS) and specific software may be made.
How to Apply
Salary for the Graphic Designer position is $62,000 - $68,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application at https://www.dlcc.org/careers by July 25, 2022. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by July 25, 2022. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.