Full-time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Contiguous U.S.
Starts July 1, 2022, Ends Nov. 30, 2022
Apply here https://front.moveon.org/careers/?gh_jid=4257917
Application deadline: June 2, 2022
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration, and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement, and fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice and more. In service of that mission, in 2022 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
The Media Manager is a key implementer of MoveOn’s communications strategy. The Communications & Media Manager will support our media relations, external relations, and campaign communications strategies for the 2022 elections. Working to support the Communications Director for Media & Messaging, you will bottom line day-to-day media needs for the organization, coordinate work across the organization, and help keep cross-departmental teams updated about our activities and needs. Our ideal candidate should have hands-on experience in earned media and have worked in a campaign, production, or organizing environment.
This position reports directly to the Communications Director for Media & Messaging. This is a full-time position that lasts at least through November 30, 2022.
- Implement communications and media activities for the organization nationally and in target states.
- Produce or assist in the creation of products for both media and external affairs audiences(press releases, background pieces, advisories, talking points, slide decks, newsletters).
- Coordinate with media consultants to proactively pitch journalists and bookers and respond to media inquiries.
- Work with program staff to support their media related requests, and offer guidance and capacity.
- Develop messaging and talking points for emergent issues.
- Coordinate press events, or support the planning and implementation of coalition or member-led press events.
- Manage press lists.
- Monitor media clips and compile and distribute media reports and analysis.
- Liaise with campaign, compliance, and leadership team members to review and coordinate content for a variety of press materials and other campaign communications content.
- Conduct background research as needed to fulfill opportunities and assignments.
- Report regularly on your accomplishments and departmental activity.
- Cross-functional support of communications needs, and campaign and organizational goals as needed.
- Work with vendors and designers as necessary to fulfill projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A successful candidate will …
- Thrive in a fast-paced, rapid-response, collaborative, digitally native organization that may require occasional long hours as required based on rapid response needs.
- Have a strong track record of managing projects with multiple stakeholders to completion.
- Be self-motivated, express humility, and have commitment to lifelong learning, self-examination, and promotion of equity.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail for audiences across multiple levels, and an ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work both independently and as a team member in a busy remote office with personal enthusiasm, optimism, and a sense of humor.
- Have a background in, or strong familiarity in and interest with movements for progressive social change, and political or issue campaigns.
- Be keenly attentive toward staying up to speed on political and current events.
- Demonstrate diplomacy, respect, and sound judgment
Required skills and experience:
- Have at least 3-4 years of strategic communications experience in a political, electoral, organizing, or progressive issue campaign environment;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with strong writing and copy editing skills;
- Possess a clear sense of the political media landscape and experience securing press placements;
- Demonstrated experience with, and comfort in a rapid-response campaign environment;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, be flexible, organized, self-motivated, and adapt to rapidly changing political and news environments to achieve goals;
- Takes initiative, is solution-oriented, and is comfortable wading into details and the big picture;
- Proficiency in Internet-based research, word processing, media monitoring tools, internal communications platforms like Slack, and e-mail programs;
- An ability to manage multiple projects while adhering to messaging guidelines and meeting deadlines;
- Ability to incorporate feedback as part of our collaborative team process;
- A commitment to equity and contributing to improving organizational equity practices and culture; and
- Project management skills and experience.
Reports to: The Communications Director for Media & Messaging
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The annual salary for this position is $94,297.15. In addition to the base salary, we offer a monthly home office subsidy. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 annually and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck. We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays. We contribute 5% to your 401(k) after six months of employment. We also offer a $1000 in professional development budget each year for each staff member.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.