The American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) is the leading voice and authority in the ever-evolving space of health information, wherever it is found—the underpinning of personal and community well-being as well as research and healthcare innovation. While our history as educators and advocates for health data and information reaches back to 1928, our focus is on forecasting and shaping the future of both healthcare and our own business.
We are looking for a Sr. Manager of Media Relations & Communications to join our team.
The Senior Manager, Media Relations & Communications, will be responsible for consistently amplifying the AHIMA brand messages with key media outlets and writing compelling stories/narratives to position the organization to be perceived by the public as the dominant thought leader in the market category.
They will oversee the day to day contact with the news media (domestic and international), support the execution of the content strategy, writing, and delivery of compelling content for existing and new member and non-member audiences; provide podcast, newsletter and online community support and craft “single source of truth,” and key messaging houses to guide the enterprise on how we are positioning, messaging and branding major company initiatives including but not limited to events, product launches and member engagement campaigns (B2C and B2B).
The ideal candidate will bring:
- Deep and wide healthcare expertise and an understanding of how health information impacts payers, providers, patients.
- A strategic approach, namely the ability to drive our advocacy agenda as part of our content strategy, writing compelling human narratives to raise awareness for our policy statements.
- Long-standing relationships with healthcare media outlets and healthcare influencers nationally and internationally.
- A metrics mindset, able to quantify earned media results and be acutely aware of competitors and their activities.
- Depth in writing, able to craft substantive, credible downloadable resources based on research and facts that also tell stories that elicit an emotive response across a variety of modalities – media releases, white papers, op-ed pieces, ghost writing blogs for executive leaders.
- Oversight of educational and engaging public relations vehicles such as newsletters, podcasts, digital publications, online communities.
- Knowledge in search engine optimization (SEO), writing keyword-rich content to optimize search results, coordinating with social media for consistency.
- Innovative, creative ways to gain the respect of media sources and increase the likelihood of news media coverage.
- Rebrand experience, positioning and messaging an organization to pivot and reach new audiences, a desire to educate the enterprise on the power of public relations.
If this sounds like the next step in your career, we’d like to invite you to continue to read below and apply!
Note: At least three writing samples are required including but not limited to a media release, white paper, op-ed piece, published article, mar/com newsletter, ghost written blog/column
MEDIA RELATIONS (30%): Leads AHIMA media relations program including media advocacy:
- Writes and distributes media releases.
- Proactively earns media coverage for the Association and industry.
- Serves as point of contact for media inquiries from journalists, writers, podcasts, etc.
- Cultivates existing and new relationships/introductions to AHIMA.
- Supports the influencer program or comparable in an innovative way to reach new audiences.
- Develops single source of truth “Key Messaging Houses” for use across the Association which will be applied consistently across programs, products, and services.
- Serves as a content creator and copywriter for a variety of communications materials.
- In collaboration with Brand Communications Director, develop a written media relations strategy to take the organization’s media relations efforts to a sophisticated, higher level.
- Manage key AHIMA communications vehicles, including newsletters like E-Alert and SmartBrief, the AHIMA HI Pitch podcast, the annual report/update to Board and online communities via the member portal.
- Works with outside firms such as Smith Bucklin to ensure these vehicles are performing successfully.
- Associates Degree required; Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field preferred
- Minimum 7 years of progressive experience in a PR firm, government relations/public policy or marketing/communications environment.
- Experience writing audience-centric messaging in the healthcare space.
- Journalistic storytelling experience.
- Experience in media relations, including both proactive and reactive efforts.
- Established media contacts covering healthcare both trade and mainstream.
- Comfort with learning new technology solutions and using current ones like Meltwater, Asana/Monday.com, Microsoft Office, etc.
AHIMA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, gender identity, race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental health disability, or protected veteran status.
Learn More About the Industry We Serve
Health information and data professionals work at the intersection of healthcare, technology, and business. While patients don’t often see them on their healthcare journeys, these professionals see patients in a way no other healthcare professional does. They see patients’ sensitive health stories. Health information professionals understand that health information is human information, and ensure that it remains accurate, accessible, protected, and complete—at all times.