Title: RSRI Communications Officer
Reports To: Executive Director, RSRI
Location: Boston, MA or US remote
Classification: Full time, salaried (exempt)
Starting Salary: Grade 4, The starting salary for this position is $78,965
The Refugee Self-Reliance initiative (RSRI) believes that refugees deserve the opportunity to support themselves, contribute to their host communities, and live with dignity. The RSRI promotes opportunities for refugees around the world to become self-reliant and achieve a better quality of life. It is a global forum for learning, action, and collaboration on self-reliance. The Initiative has a network of 45+ members and receives strategic guidance from a global Steering Committee. The RSRI was co-founded by the Women’s Refugee Commission and RefugePoint, and is currently hosted by RefugePoint. You will be joining a growing initiative that is spearheading new initiatives that are changing the face of humanitarian and development response efforts.
The RSRI host agency, RefugePoint, was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most at-risk refugees. With a global staff of 115+, RefugePoint is a leading innovator in the refugee solutions space—identifying pathways to safety and self-reliance for refugees. RefugePoint also aims to transform the way that the world responds to the refugee crisis and build new programs that lead to lasting solutions for refugees.
Reporting to the RSRI Executive Director, and as a key member of the RSRI Team, you will provide social media and website management, design, reporting, storytelling, and communications support to advance RSRI’s visibility, reputation, and relevance with multiple audiences. As the Communications lead for the Refugee Self-Reliance Initiative, you will lead development and implementation of the RSRI Communications Strategy. You will manage the RSRI’s social media channels, support the RSRI’s internal communications, work to improve systems and work closely with other RSRI partners to create and share stories, photos, and videos from clients and staff. You will cultivate strategic relationships with external stakeholders and the media to promote visibility. The position will report to the RSRI Executive Director and will work closely with the RefugePoint Development and Communications team, as well as the communications teams of our key stakeholders.
This position is based in Boston, MA, with the option to be remotely based. In addition, we offer a flexible work schedule with the opportunity to work a 4-day or 5-day workweek.
- Take the lead in developing stories and multimedia content about the RSRI network.
- In close collaboration with the Executive Director and RSRI team, spearhead a sequenced plan for development of communications materials and content, including external newsletters, blog posts, press releases, talking points, advocacy campaign content and time-sensitive updates to key stakeholders, including the RSRI global community of practice.
- Create and manage development of an RSRI annual report.
- Assist the RSRI team with development of donor reports and periodic donor updates.
- In collaboration with the RSRI Executive Director , manage the development of RSRI brand guidelines and language standards for specific audiences.
- Work with the team to develop the quarterly editorial calendar to determine content (such as blog posts, social media posts, website updates, and events), and reach out to RSRI stakeholders to gather the information needed to create the identified content.
- Cultivate relationships with key media contacts to advance the RSRI mission and goals through strategic media placement of RSRI content.
- Assist with planning and management of campaigns and events.
- Develop and execute all internal communications material.
- Manage the RSRI website, including creating, updating, and managing content.
- Manage processes and sequencing for a website redesign.
- Manage Google Analytics, analyze site data to track and improve content reach, and report data back to the team quarterly.
- Manage and leverage organizational social media presence including creating and managing content across multiple social media platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Analyze social media platform data to track and improve content reach, establish KPIs, and make incremental strategic changes to enhance engagement and reach.
In addition to the core responsibilities outlined above, other duties may be assigned by the Executive Director as the RSRI network grows and evolves.
This position will require occasional international travel, including to potentially unstable environments, and to the Boston, MA offices (assuming remote location).
Qualities of the Successful Candidate You are creative and great at telling stories through different forms of media. You want to join a hard-working team with a mission to let the world know who the RSRI is and why our work is so critical. You’re familiar with how to manage organizational social media and websites, how to write compelling content, and you have an eye for design. You’re comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and you’re able to work collaboratively and problem-solve.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 6-12 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with an ability to write precisely and concisely for internal and external audiences.
- Excellent editing skills.
- Strong design skills.
- This position must be available for occasional early morning meetings with colleagues around the globe (e.g. 8:00am ET).
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) essential.
- Proficiency with Buffer (or other social media management platforms), MailChimp, Google Analytics, and Canva.
- Experience with website management (preferably Squarespace, but also other content management systems).
- Experience using Adobe Design Suite.
- Photography and basic video production skills are needed. This will include basic video editing, adding captions to videos, uploading content to YouTube, helping to record staff.
- Experience working in an international and multicultural work environment.
- Proven ability to effectively manage projects including meeting tight deadlines.
- Willingness to travel up to 10%.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated use of social media and other communications channels to engage and deepen relationships with the media and public.
- Commitment to portraying refugees in an empowering and positive light.
- Experience working with at-risk populations is a plus.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be used.
- 32 days of PTO (combined sick and vacation) in addition to 12 major holidays.
- Flexible working schedule (4 or 5 day work week).
- 8 weeks of paid parental leave and 4 weeks of unpaid parental leave.
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts.
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits with a significant portion of the premiums paid by the organization.
- Short-term and long-term disability and life insurance.
- 401k plan with match up to 6% after 1 year of service.
At RefugePoint, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to identity or personal relationships. The starting salary range for this position is $78,965.
A diverse workforce helps RefugePoint realize its fullest potential. RefugePoint is committed to providing equality of opportunity for all persons in all aspects of employment without regard to race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, ancestry, or any other factor unrelated to job performance.
Additionally, RefugePoint is aware that the pursuit of our vision, mission, and values is strengthened by integrating anti-racist principles in all that we do. Therefore, we are committed to being an anti-racist organization, and realize that doing so involves making a sustained commitment. Candidates from historically underrepresented group(s) are encouraged to apply.