The Poetry Foundation is seeking an experienced marketing and communications professional with public relations expertise. The Communications Manager will work directly with the VP of Marketing & Communications to help build Chicago, national, and international audience engagement, awareness, and attendance for the Foundation’s programs and strategic initiatives. This role will focus on integrated marketing communications strategy and execution and reputation.
As a leader within the Marketing & Communications team, they must make independent decisions and have a high level of discernment and strong writing and storytelling abilities. Experience crafting executive communications is required. Additionally, they are proficient in building narratives that could be pitched to the media. Excellent exercise of discretion and independent judgment on matters of significance is required. Intermittent travel for community and partnership programming may be required.
This role is based in Chicago, Illinois, at the Poetry Foundation building; due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the staff is working in a hybrid environment. Candidates selected to proceed in the interview process may be required to complete a writing exercise.
- Manage the Foundation’s internal and external messaging and copy content while ensuring that every communication embodies the brand, values, and commitment to equity through its voice.
- Create a consistent and cohesive brand voice across internal and external communications channels, including and not limited to writing internal newsletters, speeches, and remarks on behalf of the president and other senior staff as needed, presentations, promotional collateral content, website copy, and press releases.
- Develop and manage activation of an editorial calendar, coordinating with staff across departments.
- Codevelop integrated Foundation and Poetry communications plans and campaigns.
- Research and help identify thought leadership opportunities for CEO and other leaders, including media and speaking engagements.
- Speak directly with outsiders in a public relations role and communicate policies and deadlines with senior managers internally.
- Edit and proofread work to ensure high editorial standards are met across all content outlets.
- Responds to the media mailbox and external inquiries.
- A minimum of 5-8+ years of related professional experience is required. Candidates with experience in marketing, communications, or public relations environments are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A natural collaborator who proactively engages colleagues and stakeholders while confidently and clearly explaining communications ideas and themes.
- Exceptional storyteller.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for contemporary poetry and/or the arts.
- Excellent proofreading skills is required.
- Proven experience planning and organizing workflow, excellent organizational and time management skills, and ability to manage multiple work streams and tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of local and national media, especially arts and culture.
- Interest in industry trends and ongoing learning opportunities.
- Knowledge of project and content management systems is a plus.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and the Google Suite.
- Commitment to antiracism and fostering an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace.
The Poetry Foundation:
The Poetry Foundation is a non-profit, Chicago-based literary organization committed to a vigorous presence of poetry in our culture. It exists to discover and celebrate poetry and place it before the largest possible audience. The Foundation has for over a century published the foremost poetry magazine in the country, Poetry.
More information about the Poetry Foundation may be found at www.poetryfoundation.org.
APPLY HERE: https://poetry-foundation.rippling-ats.com/job/475431/communications-manager