The right candidate has 2-4 years of PR agency, media relations or comms experience.
The Key is a strategic public relations agency - and our mission is to write a new story. We believe in high-impact, low-BS communications, and our work redefines how people are seen and ideas are heard.
We are expanding our team of intellectually curious, hard-working folks who like to tell stories, work with smart people, and be a part of something bigger. This is a rare opportunity to help create a culture of excellence, and to build the job you want. You’ll work directly with the founders on an array of clients - from Valley giants to stealth startups working to be household names, and will contribute to the growth and success of an emerging brand.
As a Key Associate...
You will be the backbone of our media relations and account management initiatives. Associates work with our founder and principals to create smart, effective PR strategies and establish the media strategies to see campaigns come to fruition, bringing essential relationships to the job. You will bring your excellent writing skills, creativity, persistence and multitasking zen to this role, and help generate the very best media results that map to our clients’ business goals. As integrated partners, we have the opportunity to work with clients to create branding, digital, social media, and marketing strategies too.
What we're looking for in a candidate:
- Organizational, tactical and communications skills: demonstrates organizational skills, meets deadlines, manages time and prioritization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a knack for creative writing and storytelling
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced team environment while maintaining a positive attitude, sense of humor and desire to learn
What you'll work on:
Our clients represent exciting, forward-looking thinkers across personal finance, health tech, retail, consumer lifestyle and more. We are seeking account runners with strong media chops, with experience in:
- Provide exceptional client and project management, from kickoff through achieving goals
- Participate in client calls and meetings, oversee PR plan development, day-to-day client work, and overall task management
- Manage through periods of change or challenge
- Demonstrate professional, articulate and timely client communications
- Identify, pitch and work with reporters (business, consumer, broadcast, influencer) to secure coverage on behalf of our clients
- Demonstrate strong grasp and creative use of social media channels to support our efforts
- Experience measuring the ROI of communications activities
- Write clear, concise pitches to engage target journalists
- Writing for a variety of audiences, in a broad range of voices, often on a quick turn: press releases, media lists, briefing books, backgrounders, speaking & awards submissions and lists, abstracts, Q&As, contributed content, and other written material.
- News mining for story development and new business research
- Demonstrate strong research skills across projects and creative brainstorms for clients and agency new business
- Recording and measurement: client & competitor research and reporting
- Evaluation of stories from data: review and analyze client data to find interesting media nuggets
We believe great communication is born from diverse experience, background and approach, and we strive to create an environment where we can all thrive together. The Key is an anti-racist business, strongly committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. The Key is an equal opportunity employer.
One of our Key Agreements is to “Take Care”- and we are serious about mind, body and life wellness. Our comprehensive benefits program includes:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision package, plus life and disability insurance
- Employee wellness program powered by ClassPass and other options
- A magic cabinet stacked with healthy snacks (and an occasional bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos); nourishing meals served at weekly all-hands, Lunch & Learns, AMAs, and brainstorms.
- Tons of hands-on learning, face-time with senior leadership, and regular education opportunities
- Mentorship program for all teammates
- Thoughtful career development and account distribution
- Opportunities to attend online industry conferences and events
- Catered Lunch & Learns, journalist meet & greets, and team-led trainings
- Unlimited vacation, and flex time
- 401K match and college loan repayment assistance
- Cell phone and online media subscription reimbursements
- Donation match to a non-profit close to your heart
- Regular team activities, happy hours and online coffee dates, retreats, and other chances to hang out together
- And when we're back in the office working safely together, we offer a central San Francisco location with easy access to Hayes Valley, the Castro and the Mission, with short walk to MUNI and BART stations
- Vibrant culture (check out our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thekey_pr)
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and, skills required of personnel so classified.