Title: National Press Secretary
Reports to: National Communications Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Washington, DC Metropolitan Area
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: E
Salary Range (depending on experience): $83,228 – $101,138
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a National Press Secretary to position the LCV family of entities and our issues, especially climate, environmental justice, and democracy, at the forefront of the political debate, major legislative initiatives and some of the most important elections in the country. This position will work hand in hand with the National Communications Director and the rest of the Communications Department as well as the campaigns, legislative and community organizing teams to execute a national communications strategy and generate national earned media for LCV and LCV Education Fund on priority issues and campaigns.
- Work with the National Communications Director, the rest of the Communications team, and Campaigns, Government Affairs, and Community & Civic Engagement departments to develop and execute a national communications strategy that generates earned media for LCV and our sister organization, LCV Education Fund, on priority issues and campaigns.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key national political and policy reporters, editors and producers in D.C. and nationwide, including expanding relationships with reporters and press outlets who are staffed by and/or whose audience is predominantly people of color, women and young people.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson and prepare and staff leadership for media interviews and appearances.
- Organize in-person and virtual press events and speaking opportunities.
- Produce and distribute written materials for national media, including press releases, op-eds, and memos.
- Actively apply a racial justice lens to all LCV communications, ensuring our language is consistent and culturally competent in referring to communities of color and indigenous people and other constituencies and groups.
- Seek out strategic opportunities to proactively engage in rapid response.
- Coordinate communications activities with partner organizations, members of Congress, administration officials, coalitions, and other allies.
- Travel up to 10% of the time for occasional press staffing needs, staff retreats, conferences, and professional development opportunities, as needed.
- Perform additional communications-related responsibilities as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required – Minimum of 5 years experience in media relations/communications or journalism. Demonstrated experience and success with pitching media. Demonstrated experience developing and executing communications plans. Experience preparing principals for on-the-record interviews and events. Preferred – Political campaign and/or government experience. Experience with social media. Experience working with reporters and media outlets staffed by and/or for people of color.
- Skills: Required – Exceptional communication skills, including strong writing skills, strong verbal communication skills, and productive interactions with members of the media; proven entrepreneurial abilities, creativity, and initiative; demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. Preferred – Understanding of climate and environmental justice issues and their potential to engage the public on our priority issues.
- Cultural Competence: Passionate about protecting the environment and communities impacted by climate change and environmental injustice. Committed to confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. An ability to apply a racial justice lens, and a variety of communities’ distinct perspectives to communications strategies. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understanding of the ways in which principles of racial justice and equity are vital to improving our democratic systems and environmental challenges effectively.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with partners and journalists and must be able to exchange accurate information. Able to work hours exceeding stated office hours, as needed. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. LCV requires all employees working from our offices or participating in in-person meetings or events to be fully up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
LCV offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes vacation, sick and parental leave, personal days, paid holidays, health insurance (two plan options for staff to choose from), dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance (short- and long-term), Flexible Spending Account, 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contribution, commuter benefits program, sabbatical, and student loan assistance.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact email@example.com.