Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
EDF is looking for a global storyteller. We’ve created a brand new role: Senior Manager, Internal Communications, Global Mission. We want to tell the story of EDF’s work around the world – letting our more than 1,000 staffers know the fascinating things their colleagues are doing. If you can tell a story that connects the dots between our climate technology work in India, our economics research in Appalachia, and our policy work in Europe, then we’ve got a role for you.
The fine print: The Senior Manager, Internal Communications, Global Missions will be responsible for creating a strategic communications plan that explains how staff in different geographies, programs and functions are collaborating and delivering against EDF’s climate action goals. This role will also develop and drive programs that enable information sharing across the Global Mission team and increase staff engagement.
This is highly-collaborative global communications role on the EDF internal communications team, which is part of the broader Marketing and Communications team. This person will be responsible for ensuring that internal messaging is aligned with external messaging.
- Serves as the main internal communications partner for the global program teams (internally called Global Mission), including developing communications plans and supporting tactical execution in consultation with the VP of Global Mission
- This is a storytelling role, with the main goal of producing content that helps program staff better understand how our growing organization works, what impact we are able to achieve by collaborating across functions and geographies, and how their work contributes to our climate action goals.
- Additional work includes ghost writing content and coaching senior executives and organizing large and small events aimed at informing and engaging employees on specific topics.
- As needed, this person will work with partners to support recognition programs, and provide content for annual board reporting and other periodic impact reporting.
- Person must be able to think through accessibility considerations to ensure all global staff feel included and represented, including language and time zone considerations.
- Works closely with program staff and marketing partners to ensure internal and external messaging is synced.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in communications, marketing, international relations or related field
- 8 years proven experience as a communications strategist and global storyteller. We seek experience producing content for global audiences across mediums (including writing, ghostwriting, editing, videos, graphics, live events, speeches, etc.
- Experience with environmental and advocacy organizations a plus
- Culturally sensitive and highly emotionally intelligent
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to suggest improvements (continuous improvement mindset)
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Proficient in 2 or more languages is a plus
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 96,000 - 106,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-manager-internal-communications-global-mission
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.