BerlinRosen is a fast-growing, full-service communications firm with more than 300 communications and campaign strategists in New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. Since its founding in 2005, BerlinRosen has powerfully expanded its presence in corporate, social impact/ESG, nonprofit, entertainment, media, racial justice, healthcare, hospitality, real estate, architecture, design, urbanism, land use, lifestyle, technology, issue advocacy and workers’ rights communications. We have received more than 50 awards and recognitions, including being the only agency to be named #1 Best PR Firm in America by Observer more than once (2022; 2018), PRNews’ Large PR Agency of the Year (2021) and 5/5 Stars on Forbes’ latest Best PR Agencies in America list.
People of color, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. BerlinRosen is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist, and we are committed to helping all staff develop and grow.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY TEAM
BerlinRosen’s Technology practice comprises over 40 communications professionals who bring a unique campaign-style approach to strategic communications, combining expert strategy and nimble execution with the creativity and speed of a startup. We represent some of the biggest newsmakers defining the future of technology across consumer tech, fintech, climate, gaming, healthtech, media, urban innovation, and education including Samsung, Bloomberg Media, Cornell Tech, General Assembly, and Mozilla.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
BerlinRosen is seeking an Account Director to join our rapidly growing Tech practice and support a range of diverse clients across sustainability, social impact and startups. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with experience leading strategic communications strategy in fast-paced environments. The Account Director will develop client strategy, manage staff to drive an overall work plan, lead day-to-day client relations, and conceptualize pitches and media placements. Our Account Directors lead project management on 4-6 accounts and influence client communication strategies that produce major wins. This is a great opportunity for someone who has a passion for mission-driven technology clients and wants to take the lead on client initiatives and work.
Our clients range from startups and VCs to Fortune 500 companies that are focused on building or investing in solutions that benefit people and the climate. The ideal candidate will have a mix of experience working with startups and VCs/investment funds, as well as a strong interest in, if not direct experience, working with climate- and social impact-focused companies.
Role location: This role is available on a remote basis within the United States or within one of our offices (New York, N.Y., Washington, D.C., or Los Angeles, C.A.). On an optional basis, our New York, N.Y. and Washington, D.C. offices are currently open to staff. Proof of vaccination is required to work in any of BerlinRosen’s offices.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
As an Account Director on the Technology team, you will…
- Lead development of communications strategies for both long-term PR planning and company milestones alongside your clients and teammates and in collaboration with external parties where necessary
- Manage daily client communications, including providing counsel, setting expectations, escalating urgent needs, building and maintaining strong relationships
- Oversee account teams to ensure quality of work, goals and deadlines are met with strong ROI
- Conceptualize and drive new story angles and other media opportunities for clients, such as expert commentary, timely trend and feature stories, event appearances and awards
- Write and edit high-quality client deliverables such as press releases, talking points, op-eds and blogs with minimal oversight
- Drive day-to-day execution with little guidance, while staying on track of client deliverables
- At least 6 years of experience in strategic communications roles, media relations, journalism or a related field
- Strong and demonstrable writing and editing skills spanning a variety of communications-oriented work
- Demonstrated ability to craft interesting media angles, with or without a news moment, and build relationships with reporters – and doing so proactively
- Interest in and experience working with technology companies. Experience working with startups is a plus.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize work streams, track progress across multiple teams and manage multiple projects at one
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with varying levels of staff, clients and the media
Note: Interested in this role but it’s not quite the right match? Applicants who meet some but not all or exceed the above criteria are still encouraged to apply! We are eager to speak with candidates with diverse backgrounds and can assess role leveling on an individual basis.
WORKING AT BERLINROSEN
Compensation philosophy: BerlinRosen offers competitive industry rate salary bands with the goal of retaining and growing talented individuals. We regularly review and adjust our compensation structure as needed to ensure equity across teams and levels.
The salary range for this role is commensurate with experience and is as follows:
- Starting minimum: $90,000
- Role cap: $120,000
Effective January 1, 2023, the salary range for this position will be:
- Starting minimum: $110,000
- Role cap: $130,000
Account Directors are eligible for end of year bonuses based on firm, team, and individual performance.
Benefits: BerlinRosen will make sure that you have what you need to excel in your role, encourage self-care and drive professional development, including…
- 100% coverage of Health, Dental, and Vision insurance monthly premiums
- Company-sponsored Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Mental health assistance with company-sponsored memberships to Talkspace and Calm
- 401K with a 4% employer match and no vesting period
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Effective January 1, 2023, all incoming staff will receive 36 days total of PTO, inclusive of general PTO, wellness days, collective PTO the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays and 11 paid bank holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Full mobile phone reimbursement for data and minutes
- Employer-funded life insurance
- Discounted annual bikeshare membership
- Corporate discounts through Tickets at Work
- Continuous skills training tailored to your role