Communications Director (5887U), Berkeley Center for the Science of Psychedelics - 44599
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The UC Berkeley Center for the Science of Psychedelics (BCSP) is a new multidisciplinary research center exploring psychedelics.
Our work has three key pillars; 1) world-leading academic research into the role and nature of psychedelics, 2) a best-in-class training program for psychedelic-assisted facilitators, and 3) an agenda-setting program of public education & journalism about psychedelic science, history, politics, culture, and therapeutic value.
This new Director of Communications will be responsible for developing and delivering a comprehensive strategy for the BCSP to utilize external & public affairs, media relations, online & social media, stakeholder management, and events in delivering our mission. They will play a leading, high-profile role in communicating about, and delivering, the ongoing psychedelic renaissance at Berkeley and far beyond, including by supporting our public education mission.
They will report to the BCSP's Executive Director, and regularly advise & support the Center's faculty and academic leadership. They will regularly manage and supervise external contractors or student workers, and over time recruit and manage communications specialists. No background in psychedelics is required, but over time, we expect them to become one of the nation's leading thinkers and practictioners in communicating about psychedelics & psychedelic science.
The ideal candidate for this role will have an interest (but not necessarily expertise) in psychedelic science, in-depth experience of one or more communications specialities, and a working knowledge of how to bring a range of communications methods together into a coherent strategy.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 11, 2022. This advert will remain live until the vacancy is filled, so applications after that date are welcomed and will be considered on a rolling basis
- Manages and delivers diverse aspects of the Center's communications, including its online presence (e.g. website and social media), media relationships, live events, and spokesperson support.
- Identifies strategic and programmatic communications goals; develops & delivers comprehensive communications plans to meet those goals.
- Provides actionable advice to the Center on all aspects of communications, including strategic planning, effective messaging, and problem resolution (including negative publicity).
- Directly represents the Center to external stakeholders, including through written pieces, public speaking, and stakeholder relationships.
- Evaluates, selects, and manages external contractors & agencies to deliver key elements of the Center's communications activities.
- Manages, develops, and leverages the Center's brand identity in service of its communications goals.
- Considers the Center's fundraising and donor-engagement needs, and creates appropriate communications strategies and assets to support those needs.
- Develops and implements a communications monitoring & evaluation plan to assess the effectiveness of the Center's communications, and enable the Center to act appropriately.
- Ensures adequate budgeting, resourcing, and cost-effectiveness of the Center's communications activities.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of technical applications to direct professional technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
- Advanced knowledge of the organization, including its mission, vision, goals, policies, and infrastructure; strong knowledge of current affairs and issues in higher education and/or health sciences.
- Advanced skills to create, develop, and implement long and short-term strategic communication plans.
- Advanced skills to advise and consult management on all aspects of communications, ranging from developing effective communication strategies to appropriately responding to inquiries regarding sensitive or complex issues or information.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communication, active listening, and political acumen skills.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, project management, problem recognition, avoidance, and resolution skills.
- Thorough knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Understanding of contemporary issues in psychedelic science, training, and public education.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is exempt and paid monthly. The annual salary for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $100,000 - $120,000.
- For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume when applying.
- Hybrid work schedule is negotiable
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=44599&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency