As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Vox Media communications team, which works across all of Vox Media’s corporate divisions and editorial brands including New York Magazine, Vox, The Verge, and more, is looking to hire a communications manager who is interested in corporate communications and media relations to help promote our lines of business, company positioning, corporate initiatives and priorities. This position will report to Vox Media’s senior director of communications and will be based in the company’s New York City office, with flexibility for a hybrid schedule (partially in office, partially work from home).
The communications manager will be responsible for supporting corporate communications, internally and externally, across Vox Media’s lines of businesses inclusive of our ad solutions and capabilities, commerce and studios businesses.
The ideal candidate has a deep knowledge of, and interest in, the media and advertising industries, the digital media landscape, podcasts, and the news cycle.
This position is a unique opportunity to collaborate with a fast-paced team of communications professionals with experience across a variety of industries. It will also offer the chance to work alongside various departments and company leaders at a dynamic media company.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a deep understanding of Vox Media’s editorial brands and lines of business across revenue, commerce, product and our studios business
- Support in the creation of communications plans to support Vox Media’s priority lines of business
- Draft communications materials including press releases, media pitches, executive talking points, prep documents ahead of interviews and speaking engagements
- Work closely with different departments to thoughtfully develop PR opportunities, securing trade press with advertising, media, business and tech-focused outlets
- Build press lists, manage and build relationships with reporters covering media, advertising, entertainment
- Ideate and draft content for Vox Media’s social accounts related to company announcements, milestones and news
- Identify and manage award submissions for brand and client campaigns, our advertising solutions, lines of business and executives
- Pitch company executives for commentary in media, advertising and entertainment publications and speaking opps at key B2B conferences/events
- Assist on special projects, including events, presentations, and research, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-4 years experience in public relations, communications or related field
- Established relationships with key media, business advertising reporters
- Experience with G-suite and social media tools and platforms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with attention to detail being crucial
- Relevant administrative and communications experience. Internship and volunteer experience will be considered.
- Show a strong interest and knowledge in a broad genre of media sources and platforms.
- Get your news and entertainment, on a variety of subjects, from a variety of sources and places.
- Embrace teamwork and display an enterprising attitude.
- Excitement to learn and produce exacting, well-organized, and high-quality work.
- Able to work at a fast pace while managing multiple tasks and maintaining a professional attitude.
- Embrace change and are flexible as priorities and strategies shift.
- Basic understanding of the subjects and content types that resonate best with different audiences and platforms -- understand how digital news circulates online and where and when Vox Media’s editorial content and news is relevant.
Please click the link below to apply to this job:
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.