The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Director of Online Fundraising is a member of our Digital and Multimedia Department. This role will be responsible for directing and growing the DLCC's digital fundraising program, including email marketing, digital advertising, SMS, recurring giving, and other channels.
This position will direct a team of digital strategists, designers, and outside consultants in the day-to-day running of the program and contribute to the team’s growth and professional development. The Director of Online Fundraising also works closely with the Communications, Research, and Political departments to ensure that all outbound content is accurate and reflects the DLCC's overall communications and political strategies.
The Director of Online Fundraising reports to the Vice President, Digital & Multimedia. This position is eligible to be permanently remote or for flexible work arrangements. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and we currently remote for all staff through December 31, 2021.
The Director of Online Fundraising is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- Results Driven
- Direct, manage, and evaluate the organization’s overarching digital fundraising strategy across channels.
- Own the development of the organization’s digital fundraising projections, revenue reporting, acquisition tracking and planning, and other long-term investment and performance data.
- Grow the DLCC’s base of supporters, developing, testing, and evaluating different audience segmentation strategies to maximize engagement.
- Write and edit fundraising content across channels, providing feedback to the team that develops their writing abilities and grows the team’s capacity.
- Direct the team’s production, quality assurance, testing, and reporting processes and procedures to ensure the team’s operations remain smooth, nimble, and error-free.
- Own fundraising content calendar across channels that accommodates multiple stakeholders’ needs, and communicate across the organization about the calendar and the strategy behind it.
- Oversee the team’s digital fundraising technology platforms, including the organization’s CRM, CMS, contribution platforms, and partner-fundraising programs such as DLCC Go.
- Monitor and maintain good email deliverability, data validity, and list hygiene across the DLCC’s various platforms.
- Stay up to date on advances in technology and innovative thinking within the field and apply them to the DLCC’s program.
- Ensure work is aligned and prioritized based on DLCC’s organizational strategy, coordinated-side political strategy, and priorities within and given state, chamber, and/or target.
- Regularly attend training and pursue continued education in supervision skills.
- Uphold DLCC expectations for supervisors.
- Act with integrity and awareness of one’s power as a leader.
- Maintain a harassment-free and inclusive workplace for team members.
- Cultivate and guide the professional growth of the team by establishing and maintaining thoughtful opportunities to learn, grow, and receive constructive feedback.
- DLCC online fundraising continues to grow -- both in dollar terms and as a proportion of overall DLCC fundraising -- with an eye towards driving deeper engagement among our supporters and generating sustainable, long-term growth.
- The DLCC has active, engaged, and growing online audiences that value and respond to the content we provide.
- The DLCC is constantly innovating in how we reach, engage with, and personalize content for supporters.
- DLCC online fundraising content is timely, relevant, engaging, true to the DLCC's brand identity, and reflective of the DLCC's overarching communications and political strategies.
- DLCC Digital and Multimedia Department team members continue to grow their skills, strategic acumen, and responsibilities within the department.
- DLCC list hygiene is maintained according to industry best practices, and DLCC email deliverability is protected.
- Staff perform to high standard, continuously improve, and have high levels of satisfaction.
- At least five years of experience managing email or online fundraising campaigns at a political committee, agency, campaign or similar organization.
- Experience working with an email list of at least 200,000 subscribers.
- Experience developing, executing, and evaluating a digital fundraising strategy, including drafting and providing feedback on fundraising content across channels.
- Experience working with CRM technology, constructing and troubleshooting email templates and content, as well as upholding a high level of quality assurance across digital deliverables.
- Experience managing acquisition and direct-to-donate advertising programs to encourage long-term revenue growth.
- Strong attention to consistency and detail.
- The ability to stay calm and act quickly in rapid response situations.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders; and
- This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
The annualized salary for this position is $95,000 - $120,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days;
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents;
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution;
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region;
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account;
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit;
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement;
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application via www.dlcc.org/careers by August 10, 2021. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by August 10, 2021. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.