- Marketing & Communications Projects
- Develop, manage, and execute marketing and communications projects for NLC’s City Solutions team portfolio from initial ideation through execution and delivery. Prepare and distribute progress reports for ongoing projects to stakeholders.
- Act independently within assigned area, serving as the subject matter expert on linking NLC intent to the marketing and communications with creative output. Own relationships with internal partners within City Solutions who request marketing and communications support and counsel them on effective solutions.
- Identify stakeholder needs and goals for marketing and communications requests. Proactively ask questions about intended goals of messaging and target audiences to ideate meaningful solutions.
- Review communication and marketing project deliverables for errors to ensure the accuracy and quality of delivered work.
- Build relationships and identify business connections with internal teams to maximize efficiency. Collaborate with stakeholders and design teams on the timing and delivery of marketing and communications deliverables.
- Participate in cross-departmental initiatives and provide updates to senior leadership.
- Manage communication and marketing project budgets and expenses. Forecast costs, review and approve invoices, notify stakeholders of cost variances, and perform related administrative tasks.
- Content Development
- Design and implement creative ideas to execute content related to NLC’s membership and external partners based on industry best practices, past successes, and industry research. Solve challenges while adhering to the goals and objectives for delivered content.
- Write and edit content for a variety of audiences and channels, including email, video, digital, signage, print, and internal communications. Edit and revise content produced by team members as needed.
- Develop engaging presentations, talking points, scripts, and speeches for NLC leadership to connect with intended audiences.
- Understand and embed the NLC brand and voice in all content. Partner with other departments to maintain consistency in content across the organization.
- Communication and Marketing Strategy
- Lead the planning and development of marketing and communications strategies for City Solutions in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Director. Define goals and measurements of success based on desired objectives and outcomes.
- Track and report the results of measurable marketing and communications strategies to stakeholders and senior leadership. Recommend changes to strategies and tactics to address areas of underperformance.
- Media Relations
- Assist in the implementation of a comprehensive media relations and communications program that enhances the image and position of NLC. Collaborate with Marketing and Communications Director and stakeholders to elevate NLC’s work in a coordinated fashion with our larger communications and media strategies.
- Serve as a media advisor to leadership and staff in City Solutions. Coordinate interviews with key contacts and develop talking points, messaging, and other supporting press materials.
- Work to build the media profile of NLC leadership as experts of city advocacy.
- Receive and respond to inquiries from media and other stakeholders related to NLC’s City Solutions.
- Review NLC daily media coverage and update media databases with key information.
- Track and develop media lists. Disseminate news releases and help identify media targets.
- Schedule, organize, and coordinate logistical support for media events. Support staff media operations at NLC conferences, including on-site logistics and press credentialing.
- Analysis and Improvement
- Track and compile data on completed marketing and communications initiatives. Identify trends and patterns that can be used to enhance the success of current and future initiatives.
- Identify opportunities for new and engaging content. Prepare and present ideas to City Solutions leaders and team members for consideration.
- Keep current with communication and marketing best practices.
- Perform other duties and complete special projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English, Political Science, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of marketing and communications experience.
- Experience leading and influencing others, orchestrating project participants across multiple departments.
- Demonstrated capability to coordinate complex projects on time, on budget, and error-free.
- Strong understanding of various communication styles, particularly AP.
- Adobe Acrobat and MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Experience working with government entities and/or non-profit organizations preferred.
Work is typically performed in a standard office setting working at a desk or table on a level surface. Minimal travel is expected. May be required to work more hours than normal during a regular workweek depending on workload and deadline requirements.