Locations: Remote - US, Austin, Boston, Boulder, New York, Raleigh, San Francisco, Washington, D.C.
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
EDF is dedicated to protecting people’s rights to clean air and water, healthy and nourishing food, and flourishing ecosystems. Guided by science, EDF evaluates environmental problems and forges innovative solutions that win lasting political, economic, and social support because they are nonpartisan, cost-efficient, and fair.
EDF Action is the advocacy partner of Environmental Defense Fund. With a dedicated team of lobbyists, political strategists, and communications professionals, we build strong, bipartisan support for transformative environmental protections. By cultivating unlikely political support and mobilizing an army of concerned citizens, we work toward revitalizing our fragile wetlands, keeping toxic chemicals out of our homes and bodies, and delivering climate change solutions, both big and small.
The Communications Manager (Chemicals and Health) leads the Health communications work on issues related to toxic chemicals, food, water, and related issues. This position reports to the Senior Communications Manager, Political Affairs.
Core responsibilities include building and executing communications plans to amplify and boost EDF and EDF Action policy objectives, advance political and legislative goals on Health-related issues, and raise the profile of EDF and health experts. This position will be responsible for producing public-facing materials in a fast-paced environment and with extreme attention to detail. The Communications Manager will also play a key role in keeping track of projects across the Health team, and assuring materials are properly reviewed by relevant stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, hardworking communications professional who will effectively and efficiently accomplish whatever is necessary to get the job done - from the mundane to more elevated professional responsibilities - while keeping a positive attitude.
Execute communication strategy by:
- Coordinating communications efforts for the Health team’s toxics, food, water, and related work.
- Developing, executing, managing, and advising on traditional and digital communications strategies and tactics.
- Writing, editing, placing, and promoting outreach materials including news releases, statements, opinion editorials, blogs, fact sheets, webpages, and social media under deadline pressure.
- Garnering, tracking, and amplifying earned media exposure in key media outlets and markets.
- Coordinating multiple levels of approvals for public-facing materials in a timely manner.
- Work with consultants and vendors to any paid media and otherwise garner attention to EDF and EDF Action activities.
- Assisting with rapid response communications activities as needed.
- Overseeing junior Health team program staff in their communications-related work.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- At least three years of work experience in media relations working for: political, policy, activist, or non-profit organizations; political campaigns; federal, state or local governments in the legislative or executive branch; or other related entity strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental health issues required.
- Strong understanding of advocacy and political communications.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while adjusting to periodic changes to account for new opportunities.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
TO APPLY GO TO: https://www.edf.org/jobs/communications-manager-chemicals-and-health
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.