About Climate Nexus and the Campaigns & Strategies team
Climate Nexus is a nonprofit strategic communications group dedicated to changing the conversation on climate change and clean energy solutions in the United States. It was created to be the behind-the-scenes connector to ensure coherent, effective climate communications and to elevate the work of a broad network of partners, including youth groups, environmental justice allies, cities and state leaders, and more.
Climate Nexus provides pro bono support to organizations that work on climate change and clean energy and believes the “story” of climate change is the foundation on which meaningful action is built. Our job is to tell that story to as many people as possible.
Why work with us
There has never been a more important time to be working on climate change; both the public will and the urgent need for action, especially intersectional action that centers on equity, are high. We need the help of talented, committed, and justice-oriented individuals to seize this opportunity for climate action.
About the role
Climate Nexus is seeking a conscientious leader and experienced campaigner as our next Associate Director, Campaigns for the Campaigns & Strategies team in Washington, D.C. This person will lead our work to stop the buildout of liquified natural gas (LNG) infrastructure in the United States.
Our team leads campaigns to change public perception and accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels. We specialize in media outreach and messaging, government affairs and politics, research and polling, coalition management, and opposition strategy.
- Lead Climate Nexus’ work to fight 22 proposed liquified natural gas (LNG) export terminals in the United States, and increase awareness of LNG exports and gas generally as dirty and a key driver of climate change.
- Lead communications, media strategy, and message development for a coalition of groups working to stop U.S. LNG infrastructure buildout and exports, and develop and execute media and strategic communications plans in support of Nexus’ LNG workstreams.
- Coordinate across Climate Nexus teams.
- Create communications, messaging, and digital strategies that will strengthen the coalition’s political, policy, and regulatory positions and support a strong and visible campaign to oppose LNG exports and promote clean-energy alternatives, including in countries proposing to receive U.S. LNG shipments, such as South and East Asia.
- Work and network with senior communications and campaign leaders from partner organizations, campaign coalitions, and funding organizations to develop, coordinate, and execute communications strategies.
- Translate research, data, U.S. federal policy, and regulatory details into compelling communications products to influence public opinion, policy debates, and media coverage.
- Ensure racial justice, equity, and just transition strategy for impacted workers and communities are reflected and centered in campaign communications priorities.
- Engage and build relationships with journalists who cover beats related to climate change and energy, and expand and influence coverage by non-climate/energy beat reporters.
- Active interest in engaging in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work within Climate Nexus, including ensuring equity is central to team strategy and communications work.
- Five years experience in political or advocacy campaigns who understands how to make changes in complex systems.
- Creative, imaginative, and strategic thinker. Entrepreneur in campaign tactics and strategic communications approaches across media platforms (print, broadcast, web, social/digital).
- Strong stakeholder and coalition management skills with the ability to work effectively within complex environments.
- Persuasive communicator with outstanding interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills. Able to guide others to create and deliver effective content.
- Demonstrates strong proactive leadership and an inclusive management style. Delegates appropriately while remaining flexible and willing to pitch in to achieve goals and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated general cultural competency and ability to respectfully communicate across cultural differences. Recognizes the existence of historic injustice and how that manifests in the workplace and hiring practices, and is interested in working to address it. Role models these behaviors for direct reports/teams and external stakeholders.
- Experience with climate or environmental advocacy campaigns.
- Demonstrated political savvy and high-level knowledge of the federal environmental and financial regulatory environment.
- Experience with digital campaign tactics.
- Understands the climate and clean energy landscape, including policy issues, political context, industry and market developments, and cultural environment, with a preference for experience with campaigns focused on fossil fuels.
- Preference for seasoned professionals with prior experience leading campaigns to real-world success.
Climate Nexus is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Location: Flexible. Climate Nexus has teams in Washington, D.C., New York City, and the San Francisco Bay area, although our staff is currently fully remote. Remote candidates will be considered, although travel to our New York and D.C. offices will be required when it is safe.
While we value work/life balance, due to the nature of news this role will sometimes require work outside traditional hours.
Salary range: $89,000-$102,000, commensurate with experience. Climate Nexus offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation, personal and sick leave; standard health, dental, and vision packages; generous employer contributions to 401k retirement accounts; parental leave; commuter transit benefits.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Associate Director, Campaigns” in the subject line. Climate Nexus is a fiscally sponsored project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We strive to create a safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome people of all gender identities, races, sexual orientations, physical or mental abilities, ethnicities, religions, ages, and perspectives. We believe striving for diversity, equity and inclusion is key to the fight for climate justice and the success of the climate movement itself.