With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Internal Communications team at EDF strives to foster a strong, healthy culture and create stronger organizational cohesion and sense of community through storytelling and staff engagement. As a member of the Marketing and Communications team, you will collaborate with all levels of the organization to identify the breaking news and exciting stories worth sharing. Your focus will be coming up with creative and innovative ways to inform, inspire and engage staff on a range of workplace topics, including storytelling as well as programmatic and process changes.
Type: Fixed 2-Year Term Contract, Full Time
- Pitch, develop, write, and edit engaging communications for distribution to all staff across internal channels, including our intranet, email, and Slack.
- Conduct interviews with internal stakeholders and help them tell the stories of their work.
- Ensure that intranet content is fresh, relevant and up-to-date.
- Gather data from internal channels to assess the impact of internal comms campaigns.
- Constantly look for innovative ways to inspire fellow employees through stories, videos, contests, and other creative engagements.
- As a key internal voice you must understand multiple cultural frameworks, values, and norms to effectively support, represent and elevate the diverse voices of the organization through staff stories and community engagements.
- Commits to continuous learning/improvement in diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- 3+ years of internal communications or relevant experience.
- Strong writing skills and a fun, accessible writing style.
- Ruthless about economical word use and meticulous about accuracy and grammar.
- Proven experience transforming complex intellectual, scientific, or academic material into compelling content; ability to understand nuanced material.
- Project management, ability to balance many projects and manage timelines.
- Proactive and independent, yet thrives working collaboratively, and responsively.
- Experience cultivating relationships with stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Proficient at photo selection and basic photo editing.
- Experience using CMS platforms, basic HTML a plus.
- Familiarity with internal tools such as Slack.
- A fun and creative approach to seemingly traditional projects.
- Other desired skills include: Community management experience, Photoshop and PowerPoint proficiency, and video production and editing skills.
- Interest in and knowledge of environmental challenges and solutions are also welcome!
Final candidates will be asked to complete a trial content creation exercise, which will be a key component in the selection process.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.