The Green Schools National Network is a network of remarkable local education leaders across the U.S. who believe that sustainability is the driver of innovation and that education for sustainability is key to preparing students for an uncertain future. Our network schools share their stories and track data to help others understand how to transform their schools and districts. Because one out of six people go to work, learn and play in a school every day, we believe that investing in equitable, healthy, and sustainable schools will breathe life back into communities that are torn by economic, social, and environmental inequities undermining our capacity to thrive. We envision schools where abundance and joy are central, leadership and power, are distributed, and the curriculum empowers marginalized students to make an impact in their communities. Our work enables collaboration, ideation, and adoption of educational beliefs and values that empower communities that have been the most marginalized. We are a five-person, fully remote organization (and growing). Our culture values equity, collaboration, intellectual curiosity, and experimentation.
GSNN seeks a Manager of External Affairs and Development to implement a strategic plan that covers digital marketing, public relations, partnerships, and fundraising. The successful candidate will engage in relationship-building, nurture an organizational culture of creativity and growth, work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization, balance multiple external affairs priorities, and focus on strategies that maximize contributed revenue. As GSNN grows, there could be opportunities for this role to shape and grow an External Affairs and Development team.
Develop And Steward Philanthropic Partnerships - 40%
- Manage and cultivate a portfolio of donors by creating and executing annual donor plans.
- Design, implement and evaluate targeted campaigns for individual giving supporters and prospects.
- Lead prospect research and qualification efforts for corporate engagement and sponsorship. In partnership with the Executive Director, Managing Director, and corporate partners, design and implement meaningful experiences for corporate engagement.
- Create and manage strong development systems that include researching, writing and submitting professional, compelling grant proposals, reports, and solicitations, as well as the processing and acknowledging all gifts, grants, and contributions received by GSNN in a timely fashion.
- Manage the organization’s constituent relationship database to keep data accurate and up-to-date. Analyze donor data within the database by creating and running reports and dashboards. Manage vendor relationships to ensure strong performance from vendors and continued positive relationships.
- Support and present at Board of Directors meetings, as necessary.
Implement Communications And Digital Marketing Strategy - 40%
- Develop key messages and a comprehensive strategy to elevate GSNN’s programs, services, membership, and publications, across its digital marketing channels including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and ensure that critical messages reach target audiences by identifying and capturing compelling content
- Update the website and track traffic and trends using Google Analytics to inform decisions.
- Research and implement new trends in digital optimization strategies, tools, and tactics.
- Manage paid advertising campaigns across social, search, and display.
- Drive the creation and distribution of inspiring communications across a variety of media (written, photography, video, etc.).
- Work with the Executive Director to execute media strategy, including proactive amplification of key messaging and thought leadership.
Create and Lead Engagement Strategy -- 20%
- Partner with the Educational Partnerships team to develop and support communication strategy, ensuring GSNN school and district network partners feel connected, informed, and valued
- Partner with the Educational Partnerships team to develop and lead routine communications to the Network.
- Support the growth and engagement of membership program within the Network portal
- Devise strategy to amplify the stories and successes of Network partners
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- 5+ years related experience in marketing, communications, and development
- 5+ years demonstrated experience with cultivating and stewarding new individual, corporate, government, and foundation donors; grant writing experience a plus
- Ability to build relationships across a number of stakeholder groups (i.e./ donors, school and district leaders, activists, advocates, funders, etc...)
- Knowledge of and experience with a database platform preferred. Previous experience with a Hubspot platform, a plus.
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability of work product.
- Knowledge of the K12 education landscape, a plus.
- Passion and commitment to addressing the link between equity and sustainability.
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills, with a high level of intellectual curiosity
- Entrepreneurial spirit with enthusiasm for working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- A high level of self-awareness, cultural competence, and emotional intelligence
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt, and remote position ideally based in Iowa, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Michigan, Tennessee, Idaho, or California.
Salary range: $75,000 - $85,000 plus benefits
To apply for this position, email HR@greenschoolsnationalnetwork.org a resume, writing sample and cover letter explaining your accomplishments in fundraising and improving brand awareness. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.