CityBridge Education’s vision is for the nation’s capital to be the first city-level proof point for an excellent, equitable education system. A Washington, DC-based nonprofit, we incubate the people, ideas, and conversations needed for equity-centered innovation in DC’s public schools. We do this by identifying talented leaders and entrepreneurs who can solve the educational needs and challenges of DC families, deploying particular effort to recruiting leaders of color. We then incubate and invest in the best of their ideas and, together, bring to market the next generation of transformational public schools and education ventures.
The Director, Communications is a key member of the cross-functional Network Engagement team, which focuses on engaging, growing, and cultivating relationships with CityBridge's external network, as well as development and communications efforts for the organization. We are currently looking for a leader to develop and drive CityBridge’s communications strategy, growing awareness of CityBridge as a nonprofit incubator, and elevating the projects we support. Providing strategic leadership and managing communications projects across all teams at CityBridge, the Director will be responsible for building CityBridge’s brand by developing content, finding compelling ways to tell our story, and increasing exposure of our work and our portfolio. The Director will lead communications for CityBridge’s incubation programming, external convenings, and research and special projects.
This is a DC-based position and will require living in the Metropolitan DC area by January 2022. Preferred start date is by late October 2021, and we expect the Director to commit to at least two years with CityBridge.
You will play a significant role on the Network Engagement team through:
- Brand Management & Strategy (25%): You will serve as the "keeper" of the CityBridge brand. You are responsible for building and executing a strategy that ensures that CityBridge's external positioning and visual identity allows us to maximize our impact. You will advise the Senior Leadership Team on strategies, audiences, and resources that will strengthen our brand and tell the stories that best amplify our work.
- Content Creation & Review (40%): You will serve as the organization’s primary author, editor, and designer, ensuring that all external collateral—newsletters, website content, one-pagers, etc.—maintains consistent voice and design. You will own our organizational content calendar and create high-stakes deliverables, such as our annual report and network-wide emails. You will also review and edit content created by other departments.
- Project & Consultant Management (20%): You will serve as the communications lead on projects that impact multiple CityBridge teams, creating and managing project plans that are clear and well-coordinated. When outside expertise is required (such as photography, videography, or other consultants), you will manage vendor relationships, determining appropriate contracts and managing quality within the scope of the communications budget.
- External Promotion (15%): You will be opportunistic about finding ways to positively promote the work and impact of CityBridge through social media, local and national press, conferences, speaking engagements, and advertising. Your work will build our network of relationships with key influencers and like-minded organizations in DC and in the education and civic sectors.
YOU WILL EXCEL IF YOU HAVE
- Demonstrated leadership experience in both creating the “big picture” strategy and translating that into actionable tactics that build awareness, drive engagement, and more
- Expertise in developing, implementing, and measuring the success of multichannel communications strategies, both tied to organizational strategic plans and as part of major campaigns and initiatives
- Superb narrative and technical writing skills, meticulous editing skills
- Storytelling experience—ability to translate content compellingly to various audiences and through multiple mediums
- Strong attention to detail
- Keen sense of appealing aesthetics and design (graphic design experience is a plus)
- A track record of successful project management, particularly when managing across teams and juggling multiple priorities
- Working knowledge of media relations best practices (contacts among DC media are a plus)
- An understanding of the public education space, preferably in DC
- 7+ years of aligned experience (ideally with 2+ years of management or Director-level experience)
- Comfort with ambiguity and change; desire to join a small team in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion, and a deep belief in the brilliance of every child
You will report to: Senior Director, Network Engagement primarily; Executive Director on specific projects
Network Engagement team: Director, Stakeholder Engagement; Director, Development; Associate, Development & Communications. This role may assume responsibility for hiring and managing a junior staff member at a later date.
TOTAL REWARDS PACKAGE
The salary range for this position is $110,000-$135,000, commensurate with experience, and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including health (medical, dental, vision) insurance and 401(k) matching. Our total rewards package strives to meet our team’s intersectional needs around wellness, work-life balance, and flexibility, as well: We offer unlimited vacation days, 22+ annual paid holidays plus additional office-wide Mental Health Days, (post-COVID) flexibility to work remotely several days a week, commuter benefits, an annual professional development allocation, free access to the Watergate’s brand-new fitness facility, discounted gym memberships, and more.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, sample work product, and a brief one-way video interview. The sample work product should reflect a story of impact and be an external communications deliverable (ideally an annual report, newsletter, blog post, or other written collateral) that you authored or directly supervised. A link to complete your one-way video interview will be emailed to you immediately after you submit your written application materials. Click here for the application portal; the application deadline is Friday, September 10, 2021.
The hiring process will include an initial phone interview, performance task, hiring manager and Network Engagement team interview, additional small group or one-on-one conversations with colleagues across CityBridge, and a reference check.