The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the sole organization dedicated to electing Democrats to statehouses. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built eight new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country – paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates with the resources, field support, and data necessary to run smart, winning campaigns. By gaining a foothold in state legislatures, Democrats can engage supporters across the country and prepare for victories in statewide and national elections.
We’re powered by more than 200,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors (giving an average of $29), who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating state legislatures across the country and redistricting happening this year, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Email Manager is a member of our Digital and Multimedia Department. The Email Manager is responsible for managing the planning and execution of the DLCC’s email program, including content calendaring, production management, drafting, copy review, reporting, and more.
This position works with the Director of Online Fundraising to coordinate a team of digital strategists, designers, and outside consultants to ensure the email program runs smoothly and meets our organization’s goals. The Email Manager also works closely with the Communications, Research, and Political departments to ensure that all outbound content is accurate and reflects the DLCC's overall communications and political strategies.
The Email Manager reports to the Director of Online Fundraising. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and we are currently remote for all staff through January 2022. This position is eligible to be permanently remote or for flexible work arrangements.
The Email Manager is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- Results Driven
- Manage and coordinate the calendaring, drafting, and production of the DLCC’s email program.
- Support the overall strategy and planning for email campaigns, including angles for drafting, audience segmentation, optimization plans, and more.
- Draft compelling and timely email content that moves DLCC supporters to action; provide initial feedback and edits on junior team members’ drafts as needed.
- Innovate how the DLCC reaches supporters over email and identify opportunities across digital teams and DLCC departments to integrate email into our broader efforts.
- Manage the DLCC’s administrative functions as it relates to email, including reporting, vetting, approvals, and more.
- Update and manage the DLCC’s fundraising CRMs in conjunction with other staff.
- DLCC email campaigns are executed smoothly, on time, and to the highest professional quality.
- Processes and expectations for drafting, production, data management, and segmentation are clear across the entire team and evolve in response to changing situations.
- The DLCC email program is consistently managed towards growth through strategic planning, innovation, and evaluation – leaving no stone unturned as we work to maximize our program’s effectiveness and provide the best user experience to supporters.
- At least three years writing and building direct response email at a political committee, agency, campaign, non-profit, or similar organization.
- Strong knowledge of direct response fundraising best practices.
- Exceptional writing, reviewing, and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of basic HTML and experience troubleshooting email builds with success.
- Familiarity with Action Network or other political email CRMs.
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to consistency and detail.
- The ability to stay calm and act quickly in rapid response situations.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, John Skic.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders; and
- This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
The annualized salary for this position is $68,000 - $80,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days;
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents;
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution;
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region;
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account;
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit;
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement;
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application via www.dlcc.org/careers by August 31, 2021. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by August 31, 2021. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to engaging, retaining, and supporting a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.