Who We Are
The National Geographic Society uses the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world.
Our mission is only complete when our staff, explorers, educators, youth and partners are seen, valued, and heard. We embrace each person’s identity, experiences, and abilities, and we commit to cultivating an environment where everyone benefits from opportunity, mutual respect and a sense of belonging.
We are committed to cultivating an environment that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion for our staff, explorers and educators and partners.
The Communications Division uses creative and strategic tools to further the mission of the National Geographic Society (NGS), while maintaining our place as one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. The Division’s creative minds develop and execute mission-driven, on-brand and strategic communications, marketing, creative and media for the National Geographic Society and amplify this content on our own channels, across National Geographic Partners (NGP) and through outside partners and earned media. The Division is composed of six integrated departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
How You’ll Contribute
Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, the Senior Manager, Internal Communications supports NGS by developing and overseeing the annual internal communications plan, which seeks to build an informed, engaged and inclusive community of employees. The Senior Manager, Internal Communications also provides strategic internal communications counsel to the Society’s CEO and Senior Leadership Team.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive internal communications plan for NGS that aligns with the Society’s strategic plan (NG Next) and annual integrated communications plan. Through comprehensive internal communications strategies, build an informed, engage and inclusive community of employees. (40%)
- Working closely with the Executive Communications team, lead the internal executive visibility plan and regular internal communications for the Society’s CEO and Senior Leadership Team. Produce regular all-staff meetings, which includes developing programming, panels, Q&As, talking points and “Mission Moments” featuring National Geographic Explorers, as well as serving as the meetings’ host as needed. (25%)
- Oversee the development of all internal positioning and messaging strategies for NGS, ensuring alignment with any external communications, as well as NGP and The Walt Disney Company when appropriate. Oversee and approve the editorial content and strategy for the Society’s intranet (NG Connect) and weekly internal newsletters. (15%)
- Manage a team to support the development and execution of the internal communications strategy. Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and conduct annual performance appraisals. (15%)
- Serve as Project Lead for National Geographic’s emergency alerts system, NatGeo Alerts, and serve as communications representative on the Society’s Emergency Preparedness Committee. Act as point for dissemination of messages to staff in emergency situations, including during early mornings, late nights and weekends as necessary. (5%)
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s degree preferred
Minimum Years of Experience
7+ years of internal and/or corporate communications experience
3+ years of management experience
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work with a variety of internal constituents.
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially and exercise good professional judgement.
- Strong leadership, management and interpersonal skills with the ability to mentor team members effectively.
- Ability to work some late nights and weekends to support time sensitive internal communications needs.
- Strong project management and prioritization skills.
- Experience leading internal communications teams and strategies for a complex organization a plus.
2 direct reports
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.
Include a cover letter with your application and resume