This is a unique opportunity to join a small and fast-moving CELA External Relations & Executive Communications team to manage the employee communications, speech writing, and social media for Microsoft’s two General Counsels. A successful candidate must be a self-starter, able to thrive (and enjoy) in a dynamic, quick-turn and “always-on” environment and have proven success in influencing and driving multiple projects simultaneously. We are looking for a frictionless team player who can dive into ambiguity and drive and support programs, processes, and projects. You must be an exceptional writer, be adept and have a strong understanding of social media, an experienced strategic communicator, strong collaborator, and a simplifier with a basic understanding and hunger to learn about Microsoft, our company culture, and the public policies and issues impacting our industry. This role requires strong writing, PowerPoint, storytelling, editing, project management skills, and familiarity and usage of wide array of communications delivery vehicles.
This role will report to the Director of Employee and Executive Communications, with dotted line accountability to the company’s General Counsels. This individual will work closely with these senior leaders and their staff on the timely creation and delivery of content that connects employees to strategies, instills pride, builds community, and drives technology adoption, including creating and managing employee communications strategies and rhythms, the establishment and ongoing management of strategic social media programs, narrative and speech development with supporting media assets. A successful candidate will have a firm grasp on content creation, distribution, and community management strategies.
- Works with individuals and teams to develop and maintain an executive(s) platform and voice, aligned to team, business, and organizational objectives.
- Assists in the development and implementation of an editorial strategy and calendar to support platform and alignment to business goals and desired outcomes for the executive(s).
- Creates materials for internal and external communications including briefing materials, scripting/messaging for internal keynotes, presentations, media engagements, social media, and events. Ensures the use of current and relevant templates and materials; builds on effectiveness of previously used materials. Ensures interactive engagement where appropriate.
- Coordinates strategy development internally for employee communications; drives an over-arching cadence of communications and platforms for employees in a specific organization or geography to meet employee goals. Collaborates internally with others to create communications and develop platforms to inform and facilitate employee communications, including negotiating with collaborators to align on priorities. Ensures alignment to corporate employee communications focus areas around building confidence in Microsoft mission and strategy, accelerating culture change, celebrating employee pride, and encouraging evangelism.
- Supports executives’ internal communications including all-hands, SharePoint sites, org emails, etc. Measures, plans, and informs team efforts by utilizing data and insights from internal surveys and feedback channels. Creates content and storytelling that is current and aligned with internal and external relevant corporate guidance (e.g., legal and policy regulations, financial). Drives the adoption and use of new technology and tools to help facilitate two-way dialogue between leaders and employees.
- Coordination and Oversight: Work with internal teams, agencies and external vendors to ensure teams are coordinated on content distribution plans and execution. You will oversee this work daily, coordinating plans, approving content, monitoring progress and providing updates to stakeholders. You will drive a shared editorial calendar.
- Writing and Editing. Write, edit and publish timely stories for the department’s consumption, working with contributors and partners throughout the department to develop human interest stories that meet the overall objectives of our group and the larger CELA business objectives.
- Effective Use of Metrics. Use communications metrics and results to share insights on trends and identify areas of strengths and weakness with key stakeholders and to inform new strategies and actions.
- Social Media Management. You will have an enthusiasm and know-how for content creation, cadence, and analytics for sharing best practices and case studies with colleagues across the department.
- Event producer. Manage all logistics and AV for events by delivering seamless technology integration and logistics for major internal events, including Town Hall meetings, monthly speaker series, and keynote segments at the annual CELA Global Summit.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications, Business or similar field.
- 6 or more years of experience as a communications manager in the tech sector, leading corporate communications programs, with a proven track record of running impactful internal communications strategies, including social media and content distribution channels.
- Broad experience, executing communications which include extensive writing, selecting, deploying, and managing a portfolio of resources across a variety of marketing platforms including but is not limited to web, email, e-newsletters, apps, video, events, and Microsoft products.
- Strong background in digital media, in which you've worked with content creators on long-form stories, videos, and graphics.
- Experience condensing complex policy issues into short, easily digestible, social copy in the voice of the business or entity you support.
- Ability to understand and adapt writing style to the each leader’s voice, style, and management approach.
- Deadline driven with experience summarizing stories and concepts and creating accurate copy for social media and web properties.
- A Creative Thinker. Comfortable pushing the boundaries creatively and experiment with inventive campaigns.
- A sharp observer of domestic and global public policy issues with an ability to reflect the company’s need to remain a thoughtful and often non-partisan contributor to debates.
- Experience leading creative teams and empowering them to deliver great work.
- Strong strategic communications skills with the experience and ability to develop and implement robust plans.
- Comfortable working across organizational boundaries both inside the company and with our external partners.
- Effectively communicate with people at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to contribute consistently and positively in a high-paced, fast-changing and sometimes unpredictable work environment.
- Analytical thinker with a can-do attitude and flexibility to accommodate evolving business needs.
- Work independently and effectively and manage through ambiguity.
- Influence across the organization to drive alignment.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team and across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple business partners, including cross-group teams, virtual and global teams, vendors and agency partners.
- The above description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. The actual duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.