State Voices Florida (SVFL) is a partner-focused civic engagement organization. Our mission is to engage historically underrepresented communities in the democratic process. SVFL’s non-partisan work helps our network of nonprofit partners align and coordinate, supports data and research requests, and contributes to efforts intended to increase the ability of the nonprofit progressive community to create change. This drives our mission to build a sustainable coalition that will tackle the systemic challenges that inhibit historically disenfranchised communities. State Voices Florida is the Florida affiliate of State Voices. State Voices Florida is a fiscally sponsored project of the Tides Center.
What We Are Looking For
Do you wake up every day reading the latest news and current events? Do you have a passion for progressive causes? Do you see innovative ways for a message to be a tweet or Tik Tok? We would love to chat!
We are looking for a rising communications rock star who is results-oriented and thrives off of building relationships. This person has strong interpersonal communication skills, and not only has the brains but the toolbox to put a strategy into action. In this role, the Communications Director would oversee SVFL’s comms outfit and continue to help form and create this new department.
This person is someone who knows Florida inside out, lives and breathes racial and social justice and wants to see a progressive Florida become a reality.
The Communications Director is an individual who can create and coordinate a statewide messaging plan amongst our statewide ©(3) partners, manage multiple responsibilities, maintain good relationships with partner organizations, and work well as a team player in a fast paced organization. The Communications Director will work under the direction of State Voices Florida’s Executive Director. This is a regular, full-time position that is exempt from overtime.
We are looking for someone who is not afraid to wear multiple hats and believes that the organization’s mission will be further served through the power of communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Execution
- Create and execute comprehensive 360 external and internal communication strategies for all channels, including: web, social media, earned media, events, search engine optimization, collateral, etc.
- Set quantitative and qualitative metrics and results to evaluate the effectiveness of communications strategies and ensure quality standards.
- Compile and present this data into a comprehensive report that will be distributed to all key stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Working cross-departmentally, create strategy and lead response for crisis communications and issues management.
- Serve as internal expert of communications content for SVFL, including keeping up-to-date on nationwide messaging and staying informed of all relevant issues as they pertain to civic engagement and participation.
- Oversee management of vendors and independent contractors, including photographers, videographers, online marketing consultants and web developers.
- Ensure all communications are in alignment with SVFL’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Other communications responsibilities, as assigned.
- Develop and maintain relationships in relevant press outlets, and partner organizations to ensure that SVFL’s messages are distributed to a wide audience
- Lead strategy and execute approval for all earned media, including articles for publication, press releases, media advisories, letters-to-the-editor, and opinion editorials.
- Act as a spokesperson to the media on behalf of SVFL when necessary.
- Develop communications strategies and lead implementation for selected events and promotions.
- Assesses events, actions, decisions and other press stories for possible impact on SVFL.
- Oversee the development of SVFL’s website — this includes ensuring the site gets built in a timely manner, all copy is written and that it is fully functioning.
- Create a digital content strategy that will ladder up into the bigger communications goals that were outlined,
- Conceive and create all creative content for the digital strategy that is outlined; this includes but is not limited to: newsletters, blogs, social media, video, photography, and other project communication.
- Ensure communications and advocacy campaigns are integrated across media, email, social media and SVFL’s web properties.
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications
- At least three years of successful experience in a communications role
- Has experience creating and executing digital communications strategy, including social media management
- Has experience in earned media and pitching to Florida press outlets
- Has experience in graphic design, website management and newsletter management systems
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director and works collaboratively with staff and table partners on a weekly basis to implement a communications strategy that aligns statewide ©(3) messaging and aims to increase the voice of historically underrepresented communities.
Must be able to travel periodically for monthly table meetings as well as complete light physical tasks as assigned. This includes but is not limited to renting out storage spaces, moving boxes, setting up tables at events, etc.
This position is a remote, work from home full-time position that requires 40 hrs a week. It may include periodic travel and may require overtime during election years.
Compensation: Compensation is $70,000 - $75,000 based on experience.
Remote but based in Florida
State Voices Florida Executive Director
- Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To ensure your submission is properly routed, use the subject line “SVFL Communications Director Application”
- Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by 08/15/2021.
- Please include where you heard of this position or saw this job posting in your cover letter.
- No calls please.
Tides Center is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.