Marketing and Sales Coordinator
Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures
301 S. Craig St., Suite 200, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Background on Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures (PA&L)
Through our five signature lecture series, PA&L connects celebrated authors with the community, elevates civic discourse, and inspires creativity and a passion for the literary arts. Our commitment to knowledge, learning, integrity, and artistic excellence guides and informs our work. We endeavor to inspire members of diverse communities by providing opportunities to experience authors who speak on issues that reflect our values such as justice, compassion, civic responsibility, acceptance, courage, and equity.
We present approximately 40 programs each year. Our five signature program series include:
– Ten Evenings, our mainstage program, where we present celebrated authors generously sharing their research and creative process in conversational lectures.
– New & Noted brings touring authors to Pittsburgh with their newly released titles.
– Words & Pictures presents acclaimed children’s authors and illustrators to readers of all ages.
– Made Local showcases talented local authors as well as books and writers with a Pittsburgh connection.
– Poets Aloud features readings by nationally recognized poets.
The Marketing and Sales Coordinator is a newly created entry-level position in a dynamic organization with a small, supportive, highly collaborative staff with opportunities to learn and grow in your career with PA&L. The coordinator role is responsible for increasing the profile of the organization and our program participation through digital marketing, social media campaigns, and front-line customer sales and service.
$32,000 – $35,000, plus full healthcare coverage, generous paid time off for vacation, sick time, and holidays, and a 25% match for a 403b retirement plan.
As the Marketing and Sales Coordinator, you will:
- Implement PA&L’s digital marketing campaigns, creating and sending emails according to a set marketing calendar;
- Maintain PA&L’s website;
- Manage social media platforms for Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter (and possibly other platforms) in accordance with our institutional marketing plan and style guide. This includes but is not limited to posting content and engaging with followers;
- Work with team to develop new creative ways to utilize social media to actively engage our audience;
- Write, edit, and proof-read clear marketing copy that conveys our values in a professional and friendly voice. Share drafts with staff in a collaborative review process and review copy written by other staff members;
- Perform box office duties, including ticket selling utilizing the Tessitura ticketing system;
- Provide stellar customer service. Acts as a front-line communicator for the organization;
- Participate as an active team member collaborating to envision, plan, and execute program and marketing strategies aligned with PA&L’s mission and values;
- Participate in Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, Inclusion, and Justice staff development sessions;
- Attend all PA&L paid programs including Ten Evenings, managing the box office at these events (approximately 20 each season), and some of the unpaid (approximately 20 each season) in rotation with other staff. Longer days are required for in-person events as part of the 37.5 hour work week. Hours may vary depending on the event. Approximate schedule for event days: Ten Evenings and New & Noted: Weekdays, 9:30 AM to 10:30 PM; Words & Pictures: Sundays, 11 AM to 4 PM; Weekdays, 9:30 AM to 8 PM; Made Local: Weekdays, 9:30 AM to 7:30 PM.
Position Qualification and Proficiencies:
The ideal candidate is eager to begin their career in a mission-focused arts non-profit with a commitment to community, diversity, and the essential role literature plays in civic life. They are an excellent communicator, have an aptitude for computer technology, and eager to learn new skills.
- High level of interest in achieving social media, marketing, and sales proficiencies.
- Box office or retail sales experience preferred.
- A willingness to learn new software systems is paramount including Tessitura; Mailchimp; and WordPress. Experience is a plus.
- Interest in and aptitude for diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent grammar, spelling, and attention to detail in digital and print formats.
- Strong technological aptitude; some proficiency in HTML and CSS is helpful.
- High degree of comfort with numbers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to customer service.
- An eye for clean design.
- Organized, efficient, and deadline-oriented.
- Works well in collaborative, supportive, positive work environment with high level of trust and good humor.
Written and Verbal Communication
Drive for Results
Planning & Organizing
Attention to Detail
The regular hours for our 37.5 hour work week are 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. We offer a 100% employer-provided Medical, Dental, Vision, and Disability Insurance plans with excellent coverage, and a 403(b) retirement plan with 25% matching from PA&L. Paid time off includes vacation days, sick time, holidays, and personal time. Additional benefits include work from home Fridays and a parking pass for our Oakland office. Note: We are mostly working remotely at this time and provide computer equipment and a work-from-home stipend.
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, Equity, and Justice
PA&L is committed to creating a diverse, accessible, inclusive, and equitable environment for our employees, volunteers, audience, and the community. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and experiences. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are encouraged to apply!
PA Child Abuse (Act 33) Clearances are required.
PA&L is an Equal Opportunity Employer. PA&L does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Due to COVID-19 all our work is remote until we can safely re-open and work together in person. All interviews will be conducted by phone or video chat. COVID-19 vaccination required.
We will only be holding in-person events when it is safe for everyone to gather, and attendance at these events is required. We are only seeking applicants who will be residing in Pittsburgh permanently as of January 2022.
Email a copy of your resume and cover letter and social media and website copywriting samples (1-2 pages) and two examples of a social media post to Shanna Carrick at email@example.com.