Apply via External Link
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company. As part of the Microsoft Communications team, you will join a group of professionals focused on telling the stories that help people fall in love with Microsoft, the things we make, and the impact we have on the world.
We’re looking for a seasoned Sr. Communications Manager to lead strategic planning and storytelling for Microsoft Research (MSR), one of the world’s leading industrial research laboratories. Someone who is fascinated by scientific and technological discoveries, can translate technical terms into compelling stories, thinks boldly and creatively about how to tell stories, and has experience working with the media.
As the Communications lead for MSR, you will help boost awareness and perception of the organization as an innovative thought leader. With media as one of your core audiences, you’ll be responsible for finding and developing compelling research news and stories that both breakthrough with press and align with the company’s strategic priorities.
You’ll direct an agency team to keep a pulse on the competitive media landscape and identify story angles and influencers to pursue. You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate closely with researchers, marketers, and fellow communicators to refine the research narrative and elevate the conversation within and beyond academic circles. This includes providing media and storytelling training to select researchers and participating in owned content strategies to maximize audience impact.
Lastly, you’ll serve as an internal evangelist for MSR, helping your colleagues to understand the value of research for their businesses and proactively identifying joint storytelling opportunities with a variety of product teams.
Focus areas will include:
- Strategy: Develop, maintain, execute, and measure a communications strategy that aligns with the broader MSR business goals.
- Storytelling: Work with marketing and researchers to source and tell stories that highlight technological breakthrough and the people behind the research. Leverage a range of communication channels (media, events, social media, etc.).
- Project management: Utilize your strong organizational skills during complex announcements and events, as well as your ability to prioritize and balance competing projects and priorities.
- Spokesperson support: Work with researchers to enhance their storytelling skills, and help them to focus on opportunities that yield a strong ROI.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in communications or marketing that includes working with the media and developing and executing effective media strategies.
- Experience executing multi-channel campaigns, including web, video, and social.
- Strength in narrative framework development for both brands and individual spokespeople.
- A curiosity for research topics and comfort with technically complex subjects.
- Master collaborator and diplomat, working across complex stakeholder environments with ease.
- Self-starter that thrives in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills; ability to create in a wide variety of presentation and communication formats.
- Experience project managing, working across disciplines and teams.
- Experience with issues management communications and fielding reactive media requests on complex topics.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.