Two virtual informational sessions will be held if you want to learn more about the role. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for access information:
- Friday, Oct 1 from 12:30-1:15 pm EST
- Monday, Oct 4 from 4-4:45 pm EST
To apply for this position- please visit this Univeristy of Michigan site.
University of Michigan Engineering's Office of Communications & Marketing (C&M) produces award-winning products and content that support the groundbreaking work of Michigan Engineering, whose mission is to serve the common good. The C&M team is composed of a creative group of individuals, whose work showcases the outstanding research and education of Michigan Engineering and furthers its goal of service to society.
As our Associate Director of News & Communications, you will be an important leader on this creative team, developing and realizing communications and media relations strategies that inform and inspire our community and beyond. You will report to the Executive Director.
What You'll Do
You will look and listen across Michigan Engineering and the C&M team to identify communications opportunities, craft and deploy strategies on our wide variety of platforms and products, and promote cross-team collaboration among writers, multimedia producers, marketing specialists, social media strategists, web developers and more.
- Collaborate with others to guide communications, news and institutional media relations strategy, helping to determine high-level goals, craft strategies and implement tactics.
- Work with the broader C&M leadership team to employ multiple communications and marketing strategies across a variety of platforms.
- Set strategy, write and edit content and build relationships with media on institutional items such as those relating to education, administration, facilities, programs and culture.
- Work with the Research News Editor, who sets the news/media relations strategy, edits news content, and liaises with media on research-related items.
- Explore practices in higher education, at publications and in other industries to identify opportunities for increasing Michigan Engineering's reputation.
- Stay sharp though ongoing benchmarking, landscape analysis and other research to make data driven decisions.
- Apply a public engagement lens to advise on and advocate for storytelling and outreach, and articulate and promote complex ideas.
- Consult with our marketing experts on positioning language for applications such as social media, digital content and ads.
- Co-manage the four-person news and communications writing team and one digital marketing strategist.
- Work in a creative, hybrid environment, collaborating in a mix of remote and in-person work.
Who You Are
Are you a values-driven public relations and engagement strategist with experience working in or collaborating on numerous platforms such as earned media, web properties, social media, newsletters, and more? As our Associate Director of News and Communications, you:
- Are an accomplished writer and editor and understand the nuances between journalists, academics, students and the general public.
- Want to contribute to the community, partner with leaders and academics, and love cross-departmental
- Sweat the details but see the big picture, excel in an environment filled with change, are passionate about quality and creativity, and are not afraid to change your mind.
- Are committed to diversity, inclusion, equity and anti-racism, and understand how this work is amplified or damaged in language, images and channels in marketing.
- Love working in complex teams, and lead with clarity, compassion and consideration.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off and emphasis on work-life balance
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Paid parental leave
- 7+ years of related experience in communications, media relations, writing and editing including some time leading work related to positioning institutional priorities in multi-platform campaigns for multiple audiences.
- A Bachelor's degree in communications, digital media, journalism or other relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2+ years supervising and managing professional staff with knowledge of anti-racism and inclusive organization principles.
- Comprehensive knowledge of media relations strategies, ideally within the higher education landscape.
- Expert proficiency related to writing and editing news/feature stories and media/press outreach.
- Experience creating institutional and key messaging, including for crises or issues.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and how those ideals are supported by this team.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu.
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
*POSTING BEGIN/END DATE 9/28/2021 – 10/12/2021
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. While this posting is scheduled to be on the job site for fourteen days, the review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.