The Black Futures Lab 501(c3) works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We transform Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems our communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
This position is shared with our sister entity, Black to the Future Action Fund, a separate 501(c4).
The Communications Team Manager is a temporary, full time position, responsible for managing and coordinating the activities of our Communications team. The Communications Team Manager temporarily assumes the major roles and responsibilities of the Communications Director. The Communications Team Manager will drive a multichannel communications strategy, while conducting regular supervision of department staff, facilitating weekly meetings with the Communications Department, and managing and coordinating all vendors and consultants. The Communications Team Manager is supervised by the Principal.
$125,000, pro-rated for 6 month term from hire date. Position can be contract or salaried, depending on preference.
Roles & Responsibilities include, but is not limited to:
Drive a multichannel communications strategy
- Oversee successful implementation of campaign-specific Communications strategy
- Lead and monitor creation of digital, video, audio and print content
- Track engagement across various platforms and make data driven decisions
- Lead a team of communication, marketing, and design professionals
- Support all social media and digital outreach, including but not limited to newsletters, website articles, etc. to increase engagement, grow target audience and raise brand visibility
- Copyedit and review all external communications (including but not limited to, social media, email, web, scripts)
- Serve as point person to field media requests, develop staff talking points, draft all press correspondence
- Facilitate weekly Communications Department meetings
- Attend, participate, and serve as a thought partner in relevant standing meetings with vendors (Communications consultant, graphic designer, SBD)
- Attend and participate in all other relevant internal standing meetings (Organizing Team meeting, Political + Communications meeting, Organizing + Communications meeting, Staff Meeting)
- Serve as a thought partner to other Department leads
- Work closely with organization leads to develop hard-hitting and effective campaigns with clear quantitative and qualitative goals
Support an environment of staff engagement by providing consistent and effective feedback, guidance, and opportunities to engage in structured and unstructured professional development
Staff Support and Supervision
- Conduct weekly supervision meeting with each member of the Communications Department
- Complete all necessary HR needs on behalf of the Communications Director, such as evaluations, performance reviews, and Department work plans
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 3 years of experience working with Black communities
- At least 3 years of communications, marketing, and public relations experience with documented outcomes
- At least 3 years of organizational leadership experience, including leading teams
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven success developing and executing communications strategies and campaigns
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques, and able to stay ahead of the curve
- Mastery level of online platforms, including but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Sprout Social, WordPress, MailChimp, Powerpoint etc.
- Superior copywriting and editing experience
- Proven experience writing for the web and social media, with a strong preference for a proven track-record building successful content strategies.
- Proven success developing and overseeing implementation of earned and paid media strategies
- A nuanced understanding of the current and historical Black organizing political landscape.
- A strong ability to raise the profile of the organization, its projects and grow the intended target audience
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Proven success leading teams and supervision of team members
- Superior leadership abilities and experience working collaboratively across departments
- Capable of working well as part of a team as well as independently
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience working with LGBTQOC communities
The role of Interim Communications Team Manager would be for a period 6 to 7 months, depending on hire date.