Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our mission is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for a Manager, Internal Communications to join our team. The Manager will work to ensure our entire team is kept informed and motivated. They’ll do this by crafting compelling content aligned to our organizational strategy, listening to and amplifying employee voices, and continually striving to foster an engaged and inclusive work environment.
The incoming Manager will closely work with our Leadership, Programs, Communications, HR, and Operations teams to develop and roll out internal communication strategies that build shared understanding of organizational goals and priorities, foster employee engagement, and champion team contributions.
Our ideal candidate is excited to help communicate our unique company culture at a global level and connect employee work to our vision. They understand how to tell narratives that actively engage internal stakeholders. They are an exceptional writer and presenter, and able to efficiently write messages for a diverse and global team. They must be organized, detail oriented, flexible, and have a good sense of humor.
The Manager, Internal Communications will report to the Senior Vice President, Communications and will work closely with colleagues across the organization and around the globe. This is a full-time role based in New York City, starting as soon as possible. Note: the COVID-19 vaccine is required for all US-based staff.
- Liaise with the SVP, Communications and others to develop and launch a global internal communication strategy that supports the organization’s strategic plan and strives to keep employees informed, engaged and connected
- Support the identification, implementation, management, and measurement of all organization-wide internal communication tools and platforms
- Lead the creation of compelling and engaging content across our internal channels, such as our intranet (SharePoint), email, newsletters and announcements, quarterly staff meetings and our annual Global Staff meeting.
- Collaborate with colleagues around the globe to ensure internal engagement during major communications moments (e.g., World Smile Day, United Nations General Assembly, etc.)
- Partner with our HR team to deliver organization-wide events, recognition initiatives, and action planning following employee engagement surveys
- Partner with the leadership team, including the President and CEO, to provide internal communications support keep the team engaged and informed
- Be a champion of our culture and identify ways to celebrate and showcase team members living our values
Our ideal candidate has/is:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or a related field
- 5+ years of communications experience; experience working at a global and diverse not-for profit an asset.
- Exceptional communications skills. Experience with short and long-form creative content development, and experience in storytelling and proactive communications
- Experience customizing communications for a global audience, using multiple channels and mediums; familiarity with email marketing an asset
- Highly sophisticated in delivering sensitive messages in a culturally appropriate manner to help build understanding and empathy in the organization
- Experience in the diversity/cultural competency field and lived multicultural experience preferred.
- Strategic mindset, self-starter, and results-driven
- Outstanding judgement, discretion, and attention to detail
- Superb problem-solving skills and poised and comfortable working up and across the organization to deliver timely communications
- An excitement to work on high-visibility projects in a fast-paced environment
Smile Train is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through this link below. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.