We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ+ people, to join our team.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Senior Vice President for Communications, and provide primary administrative support to the senior leaders in the Communications Department as well as support other members of the Communications Department as needed.
- Assist in coordinating press for the Human Rights Campaign.
- Assist senior leaders on the Communications team with all administrative duties including answering phones, scheduling meetings, travel and appointments, managing department meetings, reporting expenses and filling out check requests.
- Serve as initial point of contact for press inquiries and providing support for media outreach efforts.
- Draft communication documents that will be used for outside media.
- Produce written material whether for the web or other various forms of both external and internal communication needs.
- Hire, train, and supervise the Communications interns.
- Coordinate and oversee media monitoring and the clip process.
- Maintain lists of media contacts for the organization.
- Maintain subscriptions to periodicals and periodicals databases for the organization.
- Maintain files and other resources of materials for the Communications Department’s needs.
- Maintain contracts and relationships with consultants and external entities providing services to the Communications Department.
- Assist in the implementation of media strategies.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) with at least one to three years of experience with organizational communications
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Possess solid writing skills as well as the communications skills necessary to elicit the right information from a variety of sources.
- Must have strong analytical and creative skill sets.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and manage work under tight deadlines.
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and be able to follow closely the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Apps (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Forms, and Drive).
- Strong interest in the rapidly changing LGBTQ+ equality movement and a working knowledge of LGBTQ+ issues.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.