Position Title: Media Relations Manager or Senior Media Relations Manager
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY, Washington, DC, or remote within the United States possible for the right candidate
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a Media Relations Manager or Senior Media Relations Manager.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
The Communications Department at CPD/A is an integral part of our vision to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color. As we grow our team, the Communications department will ignite our base into action, strengthen our collective capacity for social change, and tell the story of our work, our affiliates, and our vision for the world as it could be.
We are looking for 1-2 Media Relations Managers to manage a body of work that includes strategy, training, and direct capacity support for our national campaigns and local affiliates to earn media coverage. We are looking for candidates with a love of journalism, news, and storytelling. The ideal candidate will have experience securing coverage in local and national media, playing a pivotal role in media campaigns, and crafting engaging press-facing materials. The Media Relations Manager will be able to work collaboratively with colleagues as well as work independently to drive work to completion.
We estimate that people serving in a role with this level of seniority will come to CPD/A with about 6 years of relevant experience at the Manager level and about 10 years of relevant experience at the Senior Manager level, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not just years of experience.
The Media Relations Managers will report to the Media Relations Director.
Applications preferred by November 19. Applicants can expect to participate in 2 rounds of interviews and complete an exercise. Please submit your application materials through the application portal.
The Media Relations Manager will:
- Manage project-based support for specific campaigns and projects.
- Coordinate and collaborate with colleagues across the organization to develop effective storylines and pitches for media outlets for political and issue campaigns, events and direct actions, policy proposals and advocacy, thought-leadership, and local grassroots organizing.
- Manage and contribute to systems and strategies to respond to media requests, prepare spokespeople, develop media relationships, coordinate media interactions, track and summarize media hits, and develop and maintain media lists.
- Write and edit high-quality, concise, and narrative driven copy for press releases, advisories, opinion pieces, memos, quotes, and occasional social media.
- Help build and maintain a culture of radical empathy, collaboration, and learning in our growing communications team.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Demonstrated success with coverage in print, radio, television, and podcasts (including pitching and landing stories) as well as overall experience in communications, social justice, politics, journalism, and/or Capitol Hill;
- A knack for building relationships with press and colleagues;
- A practice of learning around mentorship and/or management.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, showing ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences;
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
- Ability to travel occasionally when it is safe to do so.
We’d like it if you also have 2-3 of the following:
- Ability to develop talking points, pitch, train, read, write, and/or edit copy in Spanish;
- Deep relationships with Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and other-constituency-specific press;
- Deep relationships with political press or tv and radio bookers;
- Extensive experience pitching at the local level in numerous states;
- Experience using media tracking tools and databases such as Muck Rack, Cision, Critical Mention, TV Eyes, Meltwater, etc.;
- Direct action media planning experience;
- Opinion writing, editing, and placement experience;
- Journalism experience;
- Media training experience.
- Copy editing expertise.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a union position. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $70,000-$80,000 and category 2 at the Manager level or $75,000-$85,000 and category 3 at the Senior Manager level.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.
Application link here.