Position Title: Editor
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY, Washington, DC, or remote within the United States
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking an Editor.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
The Communications Department at CPD/A is an integral part of our vision to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color. As we grow our team, the Communications department will ignite our base into action, strengthen our collective capacity for social change, and tell the story of our work, our affiliates, and our vision for the world as it could be.
The Editor will serve a key role in achieving CPD/A’s narrative and strategic goals -- editing all public-facing communications materials for voice, clarity, and impact.
We estimate that people serving in a role with this level of seniority will come to CPD/A with about 10 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not just years of experience.
The Editor will report to the Chief of Communications.
Applications preferred by November 19. Applicants can expect to participate in 2 rounds of interviews and complete an exercise. Please submit your application materials though the application portal.
The Editor will:
- Oversee narrative consistency across departments;
- Manage editing for all communications materials -- from opinion pieces to social media content and memos to press releases;
- Coordinate and collaborate with colleagues across the organization and network to support the development of effective storylines and pitches for media outlets for political and issue campaigns, events and direct actions, policy proposals and advocacy, thought-leadership, and local grassroots organizing;
- Supervise the creation and management of systems and strategies to ensure all materials coming from CPD/A have a consistent voice, are mostly free of errors, and are celebratory of the diversity of our membership, affiliates, and diverse communities;
- Support copy creation as time allows;
- Manage any vendors or contractors specific to editing;
- Build and maintain a culture of radical empathy, collaboration, and learning in our growing communications team.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Demonstrated experience in journalism, ideally with specific experience in editing stories or opinion pieces for impact and clarity;
- Experience specifically in editing or writing opinion pieces;
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, showing ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences;
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
We’d like it if you also have 2-3 of the following:
- Ability to edit copy in Spanish;
- Ability to translate English language copy into Spanish and vice versa;
- Experience in an opinion editing position at a media outlet;
- Experience drafting email, social media, and/or creative copy.
- Direct action or organizing experience;
- Experience on Capitol Hill or in political campaigns;
- Training experience;
- Social justice movement experience;
- Experience pitching stories or opinion pieces -- either as a journalist or in a media relations capacity.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a union position. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $75,000-$85,000 and category 3.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.
Application link here.