Job Location Note: This role can be based on a hybrid or remote basis in New York, DC, or in any of our European office locations (Brussels or Netherlands). Some travel (up to 25%).
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Senior Director, Internal Communications will mastermind the strategy and lead the team responsible for keeping our global staff informed, connected and inspired to achieve our ambitious goals for addressing global climate change and its impacts on people and nature.
This individual will implement and build on EDF’s existing internal communications program, developing new strategies and tactics that help instill the organization’s core values; ensure that employees across the globe are aware of and contributing to EDF’s mission; break down silos by providing tools for collaboration and communication across and between all employees; and regularly measure the effectiveness of these tools and campaigns.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Communications, the Senior Director will be the leader of the Internal Comms team, managing, mentoring and developing talent as well as working with outside vendors to meet the needs of a growing global organization. They will work closely with the senior leadership of the organization as well as with key employees throughout, especially the teams responsible for Human Resources and for advancing EDF’s initiatives in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as well as Environmental Justice.
The ideal candidate has deep experience communicating effectively across a matrixed global organization. They are a gifted writer, storyteller and idea generator, capable of identifying and shaping narratives and expressing them across a range of digital channels, from newsletters to Slack to videos and other visual expressions. They display confident leadership and the judgement that comes with experience, and model collaborative energy and drive. They’re able to interact easily with senior executives and a geographically remote staff while managing multiple team projects to deliver high-quality work on quick turnaround. They have a big picture, campaign-focused strategic sense and an up-to-date understanding of the latest internal comms tools. They have experience making research-based decisions about the multiple audiences that make up a global organization, and a demonstrated understanding of what DEI values mean at a global organization and how to advance them.
- Plan, implement and manage a steady cadence of internal communications content via newsletter, email, intranet, Slack, and other channels; lead teams tasked with planning and execution of special campaigns and events such as an annual all-staff retreat.
- Develop a dashboard to track and analyze staff engagement with this content. Use those results to refine and improve our internal comms strategies and tactics.
- Build the capacity of EDF’s small, dedicated internal comms team. Manage, mentor and inspire them to drive an excellent internal comms program.
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships with key employees across the organization as well as senior leadership, staff councils, and DEI and EJ teams. Develop strategies that encourage authentic two-way communications between leadership and staff.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external marketing and communications specialists and manage agencies as needed.
- Stay ahead of the curve on new developments and emerging tools in the space, and share that knowledge with colleagues in the organization.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
EDF Offices may be needed, once it is safe to do so.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant global internal communications experience in a global organization by successfully developing and leading internal comms strategies and campaigns.
- Deep working knowledge of internal communications tools, platforms and approaches.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, problem-solving, collaboration and mentoring skills, and a calm, diplomatic demeanor, even in times of intense pressure.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, especially for digital platforms. Strong verbal communication, listening, presentation and persuasion skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, and files.
- Experience managing a team is necessary.
- Experience in a mission-driven setting is a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
TO APPLY: Please attach your resume and 3 writing samples or links relevant to this role at Senior Director, Internal Communications
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.