Apply via EXTERNAL LINK
McDonald’s Field Public Relations team is changing the perceptions of one of the most recognized brands in the world. This team is comprised of creative, innovative and focused grassroots storytellers that are committed to developing and telling a steady cadence of local stories on behalf of McDonald’s and its local franchisees.
If you are looking to join a corporate communications team as a regional spokesperson that earns local media coverage, generates local buzz and responds to crisis and critical issues, this position is for you. This position proactively supports franchisees as brand ambassadors and performs grassroots brand initiatives that strategically move the brand message and generates restaurant traffic within the Stamford Field Office and markets along the East Coast. This person is also responsible for developing positive working relations with local social influencers and local media.
This person will work closely with franchisees, corporate Field Office leadership and a cross-functional corporate relations team to ensure a steady drumbeat of reputation and marketing communications news.
This role is based within the Stamford Field Office region (New York and New England) and reports to Field PR leadership in Chicago, IL.
Strategic Plan Development
- Work with key internal regional and corporate partners to identify and use data driven business and consumer insights to inform local plan development and execution
- In coordination with a cross-functional team (government relations, public affairs, communications) lead the development of proactive essential communications plans for markets in geographic scope of responsibility. These annual communications plans will include a mix of national to local business priority activations and grassroots brand reputation initiatives.
- Use critical metrics to track success of plan and local initiatives and make real-time adjustments to the communications plan as needed
National to Local Business Priority Activations
- Support plan development and execution of multi-channel communications activations that make national brand priority activations locally relevant to key local media and influencers, stakeholders and consumers
- Orchestrate local co-op agencies, operations, and deployment teams (as needed)
Grassroots Brand Reputation Initiatives
- Lead development and execution of grassroots brand reputation initiatives for the markets.
- Work with owner/operators to identify potential story ideas within the region that support an ‘always-on’ approach to storytelling to local media, social influencers and stakeholders
- Engage and pitch media in the execution of grassroots brand trust initiatives
- Work with public affairs and government relations to support establishing relationships with grassroots stakeholders and organizations who influence the debate that impacts McDonald’s. This may include supporting outreach to tell the brand story and cultivating third-party support for the brand.
Issues & Crisis Management
- Manage media relations and response strategy to local crisis and critical issues; Serve as local spokesperson
- Stay ahead of the issues by keeping a pulse on external hot topics and key audience sentiment
- Establish a cadence of regular communication to local owner/operators and regional teams to build the internal profile of the brand reputation management role and report on results
Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
At least five years of experience with external communications in a corporate environment
Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills
Significant media crisis and issues management
Significant media relations experience for a corporate brand or political campaign with demonstrated results
Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy
The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven
Experience and genuine interest in uncovering unique and innovative communication approaches to build brand reputation
A rich background building and nurturing relationships with owner/operators, corporate staff, media and key external stakeholders
Proven ability to support and counsel senior-level executives
Strong interpersonal skills
Experience in project management and large-scale event planning/implementation
Communications experience including message development, message distribution via myriad channels, dealing with reporters, and writing communications plans
Ability to lead and command respect among local team
Understanding of the importance of owner/operator buy-in
Knowledge of the roles each function at McDonald’s plays
Experience managing agencies
Corporate communications, public relations agency, public affairs or political-style campaign experience is preferred
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.