Do you want to craft communications for the biggest names in business, philanthropy, and public life?
Do you thrive in an environment that demands curiosity, creativity, and the ability to tackle a wide range of projects—often simultaneously?
Do your ideal coworkers value thoughtful writing, hot takes, and the Oxford comma?
If so, we can’t wait to hear from you.
West Wing Writers is searching for a full-time senior director. We have physical offices in DC and NY, and a well-established presence in SF. DC and NY colleagues work from the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays; however, the entire team goes fully remote from Memorial Day–Labor Day. The location for this position can be flexible. To apply, please submit your application through this link.
As a senior director, you will be an integral part of the West Wing Writers team:
- You’ll help craft messages, strategy, and written products for some of the world’s most influential leaders, companies, and organizations;
- You’ll be asked to do so thoroughly, thoughtfully, creatively, and on deadline — and expected to execute significant projects with minimal oversight;
- You’ll be writing for a range of clients about a number of important topics in a variety of formats: speeches, scripts, product launches, op-eds, talking points, messaging strategy memos, social media, and more;
- You’ll interact with clients on a regular basis, manage client relationships, and lead client meetings and calls;
- On certain projects, you’ll manage other writers at the firm. In these instances, you should be prepared to offer thoughtful, constructive edits to your colleagues, and jointly produce client-ready work;
- Over time, this role could also include managing a cohort of associates and/or directors, with a focus on supporting their professional development and helping them navigate their career journeys; and
- You’ll work closely with other senior directors, directors, associates, and principals and partners across the firm.
Our ideal candidate ...
- Has 8+ years of relevant experience, including experience producing strategic communications for high-level principals — CEOs, government officials, foundation presidents, or similar;
- Has managed client relationships or worked in a client-facing capacity in a previous role;
- Has exceptional writing and editing skills and is comfortable writing across a range of formats. This includes materials such as speeches, op-eds, news articles, books, digital content, or other strategic messaging documents.
- Has conceived and produced these written products from start to finish, with minimal guidance or oversight;
- Has managed a process of receiving and incorporating client feedback; is comfortable with an iterative process that incorporates edits from stakeholders throughout a client’s organization;
- Has led teams and managed other people in a previous role;
- Has excellent time-management skills and is comfortable writing on deadline;
- Is creative, curious, organized, motivated, dependable, and professional;
- Works well both independently and in teams;
- Is authorized to work and accept new employment in the United States.
The salary band for this position starts at $135,000. We offer a robust benefit package, including health, dental, and vision care; generous paid vacation leave, plus federal and floating holidays; immediate eligibility for our 401k plan; commuter benefits; paid parental leave; and a professional development stipend.
Applications accepted through December 10, 2021. To apply, please submit your application through this link.
About West Wing Writers:
West Wing Writers is a strategic communications firm with a robust presence in Washington, DC, New York City, and San Francisco. We’re veterans of the Obama White House and the Clinton White House, of presidential campaigns, governors’ offices, and Capitol Hill. We’re journalists and teachers; novelists and activists; comedians, poets, and foreign policy experts.
Today, we craft messaging for some of the most compelling contemporary leaders and thinkers. We’ve helped Fortune 500 CEOs tell their stories on the world’s biggest stages. We’ve helped global foundations make the case for a new wave of philanthropy. We’ve helped politicians rally national conventions, companies launch products to global markets, and activists hold their audiences in rapt attention. No two days at our firm are the same – and that’s the way we like it. We love the culture and community we’ve built, and we’d love you to join us.
We’re committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment. We strongly encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, gender-nonconforming people, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and multilingual individuals.