As the Creative Director, you will have a leadership and hands-on role in elevating and differentiating the Reed College brand through design. This is a fun job—you’ll work with talented people and on interesting events and ideas. This role reports to the Executive Director of Public Affairs and is a member of the group's leadership team.
Reed College offers an exceptional benefits package, including comprehensive and cost-free medical and dental insurance for you, and a 60% discount on medical and dental insurance for your dependents, 403(b) retirement plan with 10% employer contribution (after one year of service), educational assistance for employees and their children, 22 days of paid vacation, paid holidays, half-day Fridays in the summer, and many other campus amenities. This is a full-time, exempt role with work hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a one hour unpaid lunch. Starting salary for this position is $90,000 per year. This is not a remote role.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are experienced in graphic design, art direction, or a related field and have directly managed the work of others; you love to design and lead a design team.
- You have a track record of developing teams and being an exceptional manager.
- You are an expert in Adobe Creative Cloud on a Mac platform and have experience in writing HTML, using CSS, and video editing software.
- You have a thorough knowledge of print production and easily work within an expanding digital workflow system.
- You love to create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and sitemaps to communicate design ideas.
- You clearly articulate your ideas to others and you love solving complex communications issues visually.
- You look at work from the point of view of various audiences and examine how a design will be perceived so that you’re sure it conveys the desired message.
- You give feedback in a way that's thoughtful and helpful and you gracefully receive feedback.
- You have the ability to educate others in the development of successful creative, marketing, branding, and its benefits.
- You have experience using project management programs and have been commended for your outstanding skills in organizing and prioritizing work.
- You meet overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced working environment without sacrificing quality or accuracy.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- You will lead the creative team, build on the college's creative guidelines, and execute creative work.
- You will supervise 5+ team members including the Art Director, Graphic Designer, Managing Web Editor and Digital Strategist.
- You will be directly responsible for developing original and fresh creative communications assets in various mediums, including print (e.g., publications, direct mail, posters, presentations) and digital (e.g., websites, HTML email, social media).
- You will work strategically with college partners to develop effective marketing communications materials and campaigns.
- You will manage a large portfolio of projects.
- You will create and use storyboards, user flows, wireframes, process flows, and sitemaps to communicate design ideas.
- You will manage relationships with creative freelancers such as illustrators, photographers, and videographers.
- You will educate partners in the development of successful marketing and branding and its benefits.