UMass Memorial Health (UMMH), a comprehensive health system and the clinical partner of UMass Chan Medical School, seeks an accomplished and innovative media relations leader to develop and implement effective media strategies that advance the work of the largest health care provider in Central and Western Massachusetts. A highly visible role both internally and externally, the Director of Media and Public Relations provides expert counsel to system and entity leaders while directing a team of professionals in providing support across UMMH, including a large academic medical center (UMass Memorial Medical Center), three community hospitals, 15,500 employees and 2,100 physicians, an ACO, the region’s largest behavioral health agency, and home health and hospice.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Marketing and Communications and as a senior member of the corporate marketing team, the Director leads a comprehensive, best-practice program and a highly motivated and creative staff, establishing strategies and overseeing coordination and execution of all public relations, media and social media activities to support and strengthen UMMH’s brand and market position.
- Provide proactive, reactive and crisis media relations counsel to system administrative and clinical leadership, developing opportunities, key messaging and strategies for interfacing with the media and advancing the organization’s mission and priorities.
- Craft and implement public relations strategy working with the media and PR team to ensure proactive messaging, story-telling and outreach via social and earned media channels.
- Individually and through staff, leverage a strong media relations program achieving visibility at local, regional and national levels, continually identifying newsworthy stories, writing, pitching/placing and disseminating news content and feature stories.
- Advise leadership on timely issues garnering media attention and prepare system representatives to respond proactively; monitor all media activity and placements and social media coverage related to UMMH, its key constituencies and competitors, as well as issues affecting the health care industry.
- Ensure timely dissemination of media placements to leadership and system representatives; guide and coach the media/PR team and member entity professionals and ensure program coordination; employ knowledge of established and emerging social media platforms and practices to increase visibility and multiple audience engagement; and share on-call, 24/7 response to media inquiries and crises.
Requirements: BA/BS in a related field; 10+ years’ experience in strategic media and public relations, preferably in health care settings; expert understanding of media and PR program development and communication strategy; superior writing ability and presentation skills; knowledge of evolving social media platforms and practices in the PR/media and marketing environments; superb interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with physicians, senior administrative leadership, external media representatives and community members; demonstrated judgment and discretion with confidential matters; and self-directed with an ability to set priorities and oversee multiple projects simultaneously. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.