Job DescriptionThe Institute for Market Transformation (IMT), seeks a Storyteller/Senior Communications Associate to strengthen IMT’s public profile, raise up the voices of IMT partners and collaborators, and communicate impact to advance IMT’s mission to equitably decarbonize buildings. This person will be responsible for writing and producing a consistent cadence of public-facing content across IMT channels, including bylined and ghostwritten content such as blogs, profiles of IMT collaborators and colleagues, and case studies. The senior associate will report to the Senior Manager of Communications.
The ideal candidate is a strong writer/reporter who is comfortable producing short-form pieces while thinking through how a story might be told across multiple platforms (e.g. blogs, social media, video, longer-form writing or content packages).
- Draft original content and support content development by colleagues to tell the “so what” of IMT work across multiple sectors.
- Develop and maintain storytelling pipeline, collaborating with senior communications manager and senior communications associate to ideate, maintain, and fulfill an editorial calendar.
- Work closely with communications colleagues on promotion plans for published content.
- Liaise with program teams to tease out stories of impact, including blog posts and other storytelling formats, potentially including short video scripts.
- Arrange and conduct external interviews and produce associated content as needed.
- Work with Executive Director and Managing Directors to produce thought leadership content for funders and partners.
- Support Executive Director content development (blogs, social media outreach, OpEds).
- Regularly strategize with Communications team on additional external placement opportunities and help draft content as needed.
Qualifications and SkillsThe ideal applicant is an experienced storyteller who can draw out engaging stories and synthesize the “so what” in easy-to-understand terms.
- 3-5 years relevant work experience, including direct content creation experience. Degree in communications, journalism, or a related field a plus.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with experience synthesizing complex or technical content into easy-to-digest, compelling content.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience interviewing subjects for content
- Excellent time and project management skills, with experience managing and delivering multiple assignments with varying deadlines
- Experience ideating content deployment across multiple platforms (blogs, social media, video)
- Imaginative, creative self-starter
- Passion to contribute to climate protection and advancing social and environmental justice
- Ghostwriting or experience writing in other voices a plus
This is a full-time position located at IMT’s headquarters in Washington, DC. However, remote employment will be considered. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000, commensurate with experience and based on geographic location. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off and certain commuter benefits for the DC-metro area.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and 2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Communications Associate - Storytelling” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a trusted, non-partisan nonprofit organization that works to ensure that everyone in the U.S. benefits from high-performing buildings in all facets of their lives. IMT bridges the intersection of business, government, and community priorities to spotlight business practices and advance public policy to improve U.S. buildings. We do this by co-creating and deploying public policy and business practices that drive widespread market action toward improving how we collectively build, design, and operate the spaces where people live, work, learn, connect, and play. To learn more about our work, visit www.imt.org/about.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative, and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. IMT is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across our organization. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have fun along the way.
IMT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.