With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Locations: Remote - US, New York, San Francisco, Washington, D.C.
This role can be based 100% remotely or out of any US EDF office location on a hybrid basis, with a preference for the New York, Washington DC, and San Francisco metro areas.
EDF is seeking a highly skilled Communications Manager to implement communications plans, media outreach strategies and create content for a variety of different initiatives focused on natural resource management, sustainability and social equity. Reporting directly to the program’s Associate Vice President, this new position will play a critical content creation role across 6 different workstreams that make up the People & Nature team within EDF including agriculture, fisheries & oceans, ground water, coasts and watersheds, natural climate solutions and global food systems. The Communications Manager must have a strong background in natural resource management issues as well as exceptional writing, editing and content creation skills across a variety of formats including press releases, op-eds, blogs, social media, metrics reports and other formats. The manager will also help secure positive media coverage of the program’s work in top-tier, regional and trade outlets in addition to handling other project management and communications campaign tasks.
- Work closely with communications leads covering a wide range of natural resource issues to assist them in developing content including press releases, op-eds, blogs, videos, reports and metrics.
- Serve as the go-to editor for a variety of materials and provide quick-turnaround comments and edits, including ability to thoroughly proofread using AP style under intense deadline pressure.
- Serve as the principal communications content creator for program staff, assisting them with delivery of a variety of deadline-driven outputs.
- Identify opportunities and work with communications team members to deliver thought leadership opportunities for senior executives and others in order to position the program as a leading authority on a myriad of natural resource issues.
- Develop and maintain on-going, positive work relationships with key journalists, bloggers, editorial writers and columnists.
- Develop/execute communications plans that identify key messages, target audiences, strategies and multimedia tactics, working closely with program staff and with light supervision.
- Help manage digital media assets, including blogs, LinkedIn and Twitter accounts. Daily duties will include managing the story list, creating the publication schedule, working with authors to draft stories, editing posts and developing original content.
- Assist with securing favorable media coverage of the program’s work in top-tier outlets, regional outlets and trade press.
- Prepare program staff for media opportunities as needed.
- Track campaign metrics and prepare summaries on a regular basis.
- Manage consultants and mentor communications staff and interns.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5-6 years of relevant experience, or comparable combination of advanced degree and applied experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of natural resource issues including agriculture, water, coastal resilience, oceans, fisheries, food systems, and the global frameworks associated with these issues.
- Superior editing and proofreading skills are a must.
- Excellent organizational skills, including ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to integrate and coordinate communications efforts across multiple organizations.
- Knowledge of media, story pitching and follow-through with journalists.
- Proficiency in AP style.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with design principles and applications.
- Previous back-end social media management experience a bonus.
- Previous leadership or management experience a bonus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with global partners community organizations.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrated research and writing skills.
- A bright, self-starter capable of working independently with light supervision.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Interest in EDF’s environmental mission and vision.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/communications-manager
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.