With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Locations: Remote - US, Austin, Boulder, Sacramento, San Francisco
Senior Communications Specialist, Climate Resilient Water Systems
As climate change contributes to more severe droughts and flooding, EDF’s Climate Resilient Water Systems program is advancing proactive, sustainable water management to address the needs of all water users — including rural lower-income communities and the environment, two important yet often overlooked stakeholders. The program’s strategies focus on modernizing groundwater management, multi-benefit land repurposing, and technology innovations to improve water data and accounting.
EDF’s Climate Smart Agriculture team works toward a future where farmers and ranchers are able to be productive in the face of climate change, while reducing climate pollution and increasing rural resilience and equity. We collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders to cut greenhouse gas emissions — especially nitrous oxide and methane — from crop and livestock production and boost agricultural and rural community resilience to the climate impacts that are already here.
We kindly ask that candidates interested in this role submit a cover letter as well as at least one work/writing sample with their application.
The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Senior Communications Manager, Climate Resilient Water Systems and work closely with the Communications Manager, Climate Smart Agriculture. The person in this role will implement strategic communications plans that advance Environmental Defense Fund’s work to strengthen people and nature’s ability to thrive in a changing climate, with a focus on agriculture in the Midwest and Southeast and water management primarily in the West.
Location details: This position can be performed on a hybrid arrangement out of an EDF office or 100% remotely from the Central, Mountain or Pacific time zones of the US. Preferred states include TX, CO, AZ, and CA, where the field work for these teams is happening, but other locations will be considered with exception.
The Senior Communications Specialist will often play the role of a generalist, utilizing skill sets in technical and journalistic writing, media relations and social media content creation to advance strategic communications plans. Examples include:
- Writing and/or editing blog posts, op-eds, media statements and social media posts to build thought leadership for EDF experts.
- Assisting with production of email newsletters and videos.
- Drafting talking points and using these as a foundation for both internal and external communications materials.
- Editing reports and project managing the graphic design process.
- Building and maintaining positive working relationships with targeted journalists, editorial writers and columnists in trade, digital and broadcast media, and keeping media lists up to date.
- Responding to news events and maximizing opportunities to make news.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Implementing strategic communications campaigns that aim to influence water managers, state and local policymakers, farmers and other key stakeholders.
- Ensuring reports are ready for publication by thoroughly proofreading them, streamlining complex sentences and coordinating graphic design.
- Cultivating and maintaining reporter relationships — particularly with reporters who cover climate adaptation, agriculture and water resources — and being proactive about finding news hooks and creating media moments for EDF.
- Writing and promoting blog posts, and maintaining an editorial calendar for a regular publication cadence.
- Equipping EDF experts to share updates on their LinkedIn and Twitter accounts.
- Using quantitative and qualitative data to monitor progress toward campaign goals, report on metrics and identify opportunities to refine our strategies.
- Participating in advancing EDF diversity, equity and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences are connected, included and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years’ relevant experience highly preferred, OR comparable combination of advanced degree and applied experience.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills, collaborative workstyle and proactive attitude.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to effectively work with colleagues on different teams and different organizations and to balance multiple priorities.
- Excellent writing, copy editing and AP Style proofreading skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Knowledge about environmental issues, water resources, local and state policy, and/or how climate change affects water supplies, agriculture and communities.
- Familiarity with Google docs, SharePoint, Cision, Google Analytics, Twitter Ads and Analytics, WordPress and/or Drupal.
- Experience identifying key audiences and the most effective ways to reach them.
- Experience managing contractors (e.g., graphic designers or video producers) and project timelines.
- Experiencing staffing events, webinars, video or photo shoots.
- Working proficiency in Spanish.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/senior-communications-specialist-water-program
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.