Art Director (Senior Associate Level)
Hattaway Communications is a Washington, D.C.-based strategic communications firm with a mission: We help visionary leaders and organizations use the power of strategy, science, and storytelling to achieve ambitious goals that benefit people and the planet. Our team works with high-profile, high-impact clients in advocacy, philanthropy, politics, government, and business. We’re in the business of communications for impact, not self-promotion.
ABOUT THE JOB
As an art director, you will help to lead a team of designers and writers, and develop campaigns and visual communications for a variety of clients.
- Use client goals, research, strategy, and audience discovery to develop original, creative ideas that move people to purposeful action.
- Collaborate with strategists and researchers to ensure that creative ideas reflect the research findings and chosen strategies.
- Work as a team with the creative director, writers, and designers to concept and execute original ideas and campaigns.
- Lead client presentations and incorporate client feedback.
- Give clear direction and feedback to other members of the creative and storytelling teams.
- Work with the creative director to build an environment of creativity in the agency.
- Stay abreast of culture and social trends to ensure our creative work is relevant to a diverse audiences.
- Produce breakthrough content in a variety of formats, including social, digital, video, and audio.
- A bachelor’s degree or an associate’s degree.
- Seven to 10 years of experience developing and executing campaigns, particularly with policy, nonprofit, and philanthropic organizations.
- The ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Ideas—lots of them.
- Superior design skills.
- Ability to give clear, strong creative direction and feedback whether working with the creative or strategy teams.
- Excellent presentation skills and leadership presence.
- A willingness and ability to get your hands dirty, dig in, and execute campaigns.
- Attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- A desire to work with others in a collaborative environment.
- A commitment to an equitable workplace and the effort it takes to maintain one.
- Expert-level mastery of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience guiding outside resources, such as video production companies and website developers, to bring ideas to life and produce great work.
YOU MAY ALSO HAVE
- Light coding (HTML) skills for newsletters.
- Knowledge of content strategy and content creation for measurable results.
We believe in passion, rigor, and imagination. Our passion is in our commitment to our clients and their causes, and in reaching the fullest potential in everything we do—always striving for the highest-quality products and experiences for our clients. We demonstrate rigor through the thoughtful, deliberate, and disciplined approach to all we do, delivering on the promise of strategic communications that achieves meaningful impact—not just adds to the noise. Imagination drives all of our work because it’s at the heart of our creative problem-solving.
Hattaway Communications is committed to creating an equitable world, and we know that begins with creating an equitable workplace. We know bringing talented, diverse people together sharpens our insights and helps us to better serve our clients. We recognize and value the experiences of minoritized peoples. We prioritize prospective hires whose cultural backgrounds and experiences give them unique perspectives and who share our goal of creating a workplace and world that promotes creativity, innovation, and collaboration.
We are active listeners, supportive partners, and inclusive leaders. We create space for our employees and our partners to fearlessly speak the truth, authentically express themselves, and enjoy meaningful professional growth. We not only allow for difference but celebrate and dutifully defend it.
We value each person’s professional development, and have a budget and support for pursuing those interests.Our offices are located in downtown Washington, D.C., between the Dupont Circle and Farragut North metro stations. We provide our employees excellent benefits, such as 100% employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance, a flexible work environment, and paid medical leave. The salary range for this position is $71,000-$100,000 depending on experience.
Hattaway Communications provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please fill out this application form with your information, resume and cover letter. No phone calls, please.