With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Locations: Remote - US, Austin, Boston, Boulder, New York, Raleigh, San Francisco, Washington, D.C.
Communications Specialist, Oceans
We kindly ask that candidates interested in this role submit a cover letter as well as at least one work/writing sample with their application.
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril - from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Climate Resilient Fisheries & Oceans team is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods, and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists, and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our work in the U.S., Latin America, and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for supporting strategic communications campaigns, earned media outreach initiatives, content creation and marketing campaigns that persuasively connect with our target audiences both domestically and in the countries where we operate. They will assist with project management, graphic design and persuasive writing in support of advancing the work of EDF’s Climate Resilient Fisheries and Oceans initiative (Oceans).
The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications Director and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with Oceans staff.
This role can be based 100% remotely or out of any US EDF office location on a hybrid basis, with a preference for the New York, Washington DC, and San Francisco metro areas.
- Help execute communications strategies in support of EDF Oceans’ priority campaigns.
- Develop content in support of communications and outreach materials including blogs, social media, press releases, reports, PowerPoints, videos, fact sheets, graphics and more.
- Strategically manage and promote content across digital and social platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn and more.
- Assist with executing paid digital campaigns on tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Help execute earned media strategies by maintaining media lists, developing creative story pitches and pitching reporters, cultivating and maintaining reporter relationships, distributing press materials to relevant media contacts and monitoring media coverage in key media markets and outlets.
- Draft external communications, including press releases, blogs, opinion pieces, etc. with an attention to detail and under tight time constraints.
- Maintain electronic files, including media lists in Cision, press clips, brochures, images, fact sheets, etc.
- Coordinate and track project outputs and metrics on communications efforts for EDF Oceans and generate reports on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Support project management on a variety of communications campaigns including liaising with EDF’s Marketing and Communications Team, relevant colleagues across EDF and external vendors, in a fast-paced environment, often executing on tight deadlines
- Research and pitch EDF experts for thought leadership opportunities. Help draft talking points for speeches, conferences and other events.
- Assist with internal communication, including reports for senior leadership, internal collaborators, and donor communication needs.
- Serve as a liaison to Fisheries & Oceans team members, assisting with their communications needs.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing, or related field
- A minimum of three years communications experience preferred (or comparable combination of advanced degree and applied experience), working in advocacy, public relations, content development, journalism or other communications or marketing-related field, with a demonstrated record of success; practical, real-world experience in environmental media and communications preferred
- Proficiency with social media tools and outlets required; familiarity with cutting-edge communication technologies preferred
- Proficiency in Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Internet required
- Experience working on local and/or statewide press outreach preferred
- Basic graphic and web design and video editing experience preferred
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills. Knowledge of AP style a plus.
- Experience managing contractors (i.e., Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.)
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Highly skilled at time management and managing expectations to be successful across time zones
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Excellent telephone, oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/communications-specialist
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.