LivCor, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a real estate asset management business specializing in multi-family housing. Formed in 2013 and headquartered in Chicago, LivCor is currently responsible for a portfolio of over 400 Class A and B properties comprising more than 150,000 units in markets across the United States. Our business is focused on making real estate more valuable. But for us, it’s more than that. It’s people first, community always. It’s a life-filled career, not just a career-filled life. It’s doing good work, with good humans, and making a difference. It’s excellence in all its forms. Ultimately, we create great places to work, live, and grow. We do that by focusing on leaving people – and places – better than we found them.
Whew! Still with us? Cool. Let’s talk about where you’d fit in:
- We are looking for a strategic thinker who will take on a central role in both preventing issues before they happen and managing them when they do, with a particular focus on reputation and communications.
- As a member of the Corporate Communications team, you will be a part of a nimble, creative team that exists to preserve, protect and defend the Constit – wait, sorry, wrong speech – build, maintain, and enhance our reputation.
- This role requires substantial experience managing high-stakes reputational-related issues. Quite simply, this person must have a deep understanding of risk in all its individual and interrelated forms. This means you are experienced working across disciplines including communications, legal, and operations – understanding that you get the best results when you balance a range of considerations.
- This is not just a crisis management role, as you should be a strategic thinker who is ready to own a program of work figuring out what issues we may face and helping build appropriate playbooks and processes so we are ready ahead of time.
- Outstanding writing skills are necessary, coupled with a strong understanding of the national media and political landscape. Ideally you have a broad skillset that includes media relations, social media expertise, and briefing/advising senior stakeholders.
- Also, a sense of humor, because being able to laugh when you’re under pressure is key.
- This role may be located in the LivCor Chicago or New York office, or remotely in any other U.S. state.
Only read further if you are:
- Smart with Heart
You should be:
- Authentic. You do you. Together, we’ll do something amazing.
- A passionate person with a love for real estate and investing; and believes that helping others win is a noble cause, essential to our success.
- An excellent team player who enjoys working with others and has strong interpersonal skills.
- Highly motivated, energetic, and organized
- Gumby. Things change.
What you will do:
- Own a program of work to prepare for issues before they happen, including preparing playbooks containing approved plans and communications material.
- Lead day-to-day reputational management of a range of issues, in collaboration with other subject matter experts (e.g. legal, technology, operations, other comms colleagues). This involves things like drafting media responses, responses to escalated customer service issues, and talking points for frontline team members/spokespeople/leaders.
- Advise on media/social media strategy.
- Review documents for reputational risks.
- Help lead more intense crisis situations, including potentially being deployed on-location around the country at short notice.
- Leverage data and technology, responsible for making the most of reputational monitoring tools including media monitoring and social listening.
- Prepare briefings for senior leaders summarizing issues and keeping them appropriately apprised as situations develop.
- Track international, national, and local media for relevant stories or trends, and share insights with colleagues.
- Flexibility to work outside normal hours and travel with short notice. Please note – we do care about your personal life and know what this work can be like, so rosters and support will be in place.
- Support other Corporate Communications peers on projects/tasks as needed. As a wise person once said, “there’s no i(ssues) in team.”
What you should have:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required (discipline agnostic if you can demonstrate a passion for storytelling, communications, and sharp critical analysis skills.)
- Five to eight years’ experience in a fast-paced, corporate environment.
- Experience in any of the following is helpful but not required: government/political campaigns, private equity, financial services, or commercial real estate.
- Exceptional executive presence, including experience supporting senior business leaders with communications.
- Truly outstanding writing and multimedia storytelling skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and a passion for reader/consumer experience.
- Knowledge of social media, digital engagement, and strategic best practices for communications, reader engagement, and user experience.
- Helpful if you have photography/videography/content creation experience.
- Expert-level proficiency with Microsoft Office; helpful if you have experience with Adobe Creative Cloud apps.
- Ambition without ego.
- It would be a real plus if you are funny.
What we offer:
We know that if we take care of our team everything else will fall into place. We aren’t perfect, but we will try to set very clear expectations, always let you know where you stand, and do everything in our power to help you get where you want to go.
Our culture and values matter to us. A lot. We’re definitely not serious but we take this stuff seriously, if you get what we mean. We want a place that is an ego-free zone. A place where good people do good things together. It shouldn’t be rocket science in workplaces, but for some reason it still is? We’re absolutely determined to be different, and we think we’re doing a pretty good job at it. We have a CEO who makes fun of himself, and who will encourage you to tell him when he is wrong. In fact, he needs people to – we all do. Supportive challenge is good, it’s how we get better. We like getting better. We also love diversity, of all kinds. We need people who look, sound, speak, love, and exist differently from one another. This isn’t at the end of this paragraph because it’s an afterthought. It’s SO important to us we want it to stand out.
Right. On to the technical stuff that we know matters to you. We offer competitive pay that is commensurate with the market and relevant experience, and a full slate of benefits that even includes things like paid parental leave.
If any of this sounds interesting, then maybe we are a fit. Life is too short to work with people you don’t like. So whatever you do, don’t make that mistake.
The LivCorian Values
- Be you. Be Real. Be Open. You do you. Together, we will do something amazing.
- Care, Always. We don’t want to let anyone down.
- Courageously Curious. We love to learn, even when it hurts.
- Help Others Win, Be A Good Neighbor. This is about ‘We, not Me.’
- Relentless Hustle, Heart & Humility. Work hard. Be Kind. Make Better.
A few of the people you will work with:
To apply, please visit https://careers-livcor.icims.com/jobs/3904/director---issues-management/job
LivCor is proud to be a US EPA ENERGY STAR® Partner
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our employment decisions are based on individual qualifications, job requirements and business needs without regard to race, color, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, disability, citizenship status, national origin, pregnancy, veteran status and or any other legally protected characteristics. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.