About the job
Milltown Partners believes impactful communications starts by understanding the audiences who matter most to our clients, so that we can influence them with compelling storytelling that uses the smartest mix of owned, earned and paid media. We have seen exciting opportunities in this space for our current clients, and believe we can expand our offer to future clients if we further develop our specialism in this digital space.
We are looking to hire someone with at least 4 years experience, who would be excited to work within our US team to help us grow our capabilities in owned and paid communications and deliver our ambitious plans in this area.
We are looking for someone with the ambition to provide specialist owned and paid communications support to client teams across the business, as well as help develop our overall approach to multichannel storytelling and audience engagement. While you will be an expert in the use of owned and paid channels, we expect our specialists to work in a fully integrated way with the rest of the firm, not as a separate team. Success in this role will require intellectual curiosity, creativity, entrepreneurialism and resourcefulness.
What the role involves
Developing integrated communications strategies:
- Drawing on a deep knowledge of audiences and channels to identify how best to position clients and achieve their communications goals.
- Defining the scope of desk research required to inform the client’s reputation strategy and working with the client team lead to set the strategy and priorities.
- Knowing what success looks like when it comes to using paid and owned channels to reach niche audiences (eg: investors, business journalists, C-Suite executives, etc)
- Understanding how owned and paid channels work alongside earned media in support of the clients’ overall goals
- Creating compelling integrated communications plans to guide the execution of the agreed strategy.
- Mapping audience networks and understanding the sphere of influence and how to activate and engage audiences.
- Developing engaging content ideas for a mix channels - from audience and channel analysis, to copywriting for assets.
- Understanding how to measure impact and set client expectations.
Building and applying deep expertise about clients and the subjects they care about:
- Overseeing the work of junior colleagues and helping to extract insights that inform our advice to clients.
- Building and maintaining an understanding of our clients’ key audiences in order to deliver insight-led advice.
- Delivering the more complex components of owned and paid activity e.g. paid activation on behalf of clients, oversight of creative assets.
- Understanding the business model of our clients and applying this to improve the quality of our advice.
Advising a small number of clients (typically two to three) while providing support to the wider team.
- Confidently providing counsel to clients across a range of issues as they arise.
- Tailoring the style and content of advice to meet the needs and expectations of individual clients.
- Having the courage to give the right advice, even if it's not what the client wants to hear, and finding a solution that works for them.
- Contributing to a strong company-wide culture of knowledge sharing and developing new ideas - working collaboratively across all teams and geographies to provide best practice and expertise.
Managing teams to deliver exceptional work, drawing on the full expertise of the firm.
- Developing the project plan for client teams and ensuring work is delivered on time and to a high quality.
- Identifying opportunities to bring in experts from across the firm and from our external network to ensure the client benefits from the full range of our experience.
- Giving (and receiving) regular feedback to people at all levels in the firm.
- Managing the work of less experienced members of your client teams and assisting with their professional development through coaching and mentoring.
Contributing to the future of the business beyond the boundaries of client work.
- Line managing Analysts outside client teams: setting development goals that enable them to perform at their best and stretch into opportunities for development.
- Using personal interests and/or former experience to help develop the team’s approach on a range of potential subjects such as new business, wellbeing or diversity and inclusion.
What we’re looking for
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A strategic approach to reputation, informed by a strong understanding of the audiences and channels that make up the communications landscape.
- The ability to develop relationships with clients and offer them strategic counsel and insight.
- An appreciation of, and interest in, the use of storytelling to influence niche audiences in pursuit of a client’s commercial goals
- Experience evaluating and optimising campaigns based on ongoing results and real-time insights
- A deep understanding of digital mediums, channels, technologies and trends, and a passion for innovation
- Experience working with, or for organisations which have a significant US presence.
- Experience developing multichannel communications strategies, and partnering with design agencies.
- Intellectual curiosity to explore new subjects and desire to share that knowledge with the team.
- Experience of project management, including planning and delivering work against agreed goals, timetable and budget.
- Experience managing a team and delegating both upwards and downwards in a way that makes the most of everyone’s skills and experience.
- A highly motivated team member who values collaboration and is interested in coaching and building capability across the team.
- Commitment to contributing to a supportive and inclusive culture.
- A desire to seek out feedback in order to learn and develop.
- At least 4 years of professional experience in a relevant role (eg. communications, digital consultancy, public relations)
- Fluent command of English.
- Successful applicants will need to have the right to work in the US.
Our commitment to being an inclusive workplace
Our goal is for all our colleagues - present and future - to feel they belong here, regardless of their background, age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation or disability. We want to empower all of our colleagues by ensuring that each one of them can see a future for someone like them at Milltown Partners. We believe that fostering a diverse and inclusive ecosystem of colleagues and partners not only encourages innovation but also bolsters strong business results.
Compensation and benefits
We determine our fixed salary bands through annual industry benchmarking to ensure we are compensating our team competitively. Alongside base salary, our benefits package includes:
- Discretionary twice-yearly bonuses (taking account of firm and individual performance);
- 28 days of annual Paid Time Off (PTO) plus public holidays;
- 4% match to 401k contribution;
- Generous policy for new parents (for both mothers and fathers);
- Generous medical, dental and vision insurance options, including support for dependents;
- $100 monthly commuter benefits;
- [Senior Consultants +] Personalised executive coaching with an external expert;
- Variety of team events, such as socials, external guest speakers and annual firm celebrations;
- Selection of breakfast foods and snacks in the office, plus a weekly team lunch