Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
The Director of Executive Public Engagement is responsible for developing and managing a program of appearances by senior EDF leaders at major events as part of a thought leadership strategy set by the Chief Marketing Officer and VP, Public Affairs.
The Director will track major conferences and events; deepen EDF’s relationships with content decision-makers at key conferences and other players in this space; develop a strategic program of appearance by EDF’s president, executive director, executive vice presidents, regional leaders and other key executives; assist in preparing EDF leaders for those appearance and amplify EDF’s content from the conferences. Reporting to the Vice President, Public Affairs, the Director will seek to advance priority issues, raise the profile of EDF leaders, and advance EDF’s position as a thought-leader on a global scale.
We are seeking a strategic and creative thinker with experience and knowledge of opinion leadership events (Aspen, Davos, etc.). The position requires strong organizational, inter-personal, and writing skills. The Director will interact with senior executives and subject matter experts, find venues for EDF’s message, and coordinate development compelling speeches, messages and materials.
- Development of a holistic, strategic plan for deploying EDF’s president, executive director, executive vice presidents, regional leaders and other key executives at high profile events.
- Research and track major conferences and events.
- Deepen EDF’s relationships with content decision-makers at key conferences and other players in this space.
- Assist in preparing EDF leaders for those appearance and amplify EDF’s content from the conferences.
- Outreach to conferences to secure speaking slots for EDF leaders.
- Negotiation, management, and preparation for events.
- Work with EDF subject matter experts and to oversee development of presentations, speeches, panel discussions, follow up materials.
- Work with social media teams to promote events and blogs, recordings and other products resulting from event participation.
- Maintaining relationship with key conference organizers.
- Related public affairs responsibilities.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values
- Minimum 10 years of experience in marketing/communication or high-level events, preferably in a political or issue advocacy context. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working for or with conferences or similar level gatherings that focus on ideas and issues preferred.
- Experience or strong familiarity with environmental issues, with a focus on climate related topics.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization with multiple internal/external stakeholders, including at the executive level, and teams and consultants spanning the globe
- Proven ability to use communications as a tool to achieve policy goals by crafting messages and choosing venues that bring attention to EDF’s position on key issues.
- Strategic communications mindset.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with environmental media a plus.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
This role can be based remotely within the US with some travel to leaders location as needed (20%) – ideal locations would be on either the East or West coast for proximity. Or it can be based in any EDF office.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 115,000 - 130,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.