Personal Care Products Council is a seeking a dynamic Communications & Digital Media Senior Specialist.
The Communications & Digital Media Senior Specialist is a key member of the Public Affairs & Communications team, working closely with the EVP and Director to assist with a variety of activities and support functions including writing, editing, media relations, issues management and working to raise the visibility of the industry, the association and key issues, specifically through the use of digital strategy. Works independently on assignments and leads various projects.
The PCPC Public Affairs & Communications team consists of three full-time staff and one intern. This position reports directly to the EVP Public Affairs & Communications. The office is located near the Farragut North and Farragut West Metro stations, and we have a flexible work schedule that allows working remotely for several days per week. This is not a fully remote position; you must be in the office a two days per week.Requirements
- Manages content and creative for PCPC and CosmeticsInfo social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube), employing best practices to target key audiences and garner engagement accordingly. Tracks growth and develops analytics reports to share with key stakeholders. Develops and operates against editorial calendar. Makes strategic recommendations regarding content additions and modifications, and audience engagement.
- Oversees paid media activity (enhanced digital strategy), including social media spend, GoogleAd spend and multimedia development, in collaboration with consultants and vendors.
- Oversees CosmeticsInfo.org content development and website management. Ensures up-to-date, accurate scientific information and implements website best practices to attract and engage audiences.
- Assists EVP and Director with the development of significant communications materials, including videos, reports (Year-in-Review, Sustainability Report) and website content.
- Monitors industry issues in the news (traditional and social) and tracks NGO campaigns, and makes recommendations for possible engagement with key influencers; this also includes developing story ideas that potentially impact the industry’s reputation. Distributes alerts and updates on key issues that appear in print, broadcast and online outlets. Effectively communicates with member companies, sister associations and other key stakeholders on industry-related issues.
- Supporting Director, handles media inquiries, gathering information to determine reporter's needs and deadlines; researches and gathers relevant background materials for media interviews; and coordinates department follow-up to garner media placement. Cultivates relationships with key reporters, bloggers and producers.
- Drafts news releases, position statements, newsletter articles, website copy, social media content and other relevant materials for final review by EVP. Proofreads various materials that support the department’s work of protecting and enhancing reputation.
- Works with EVP, Director and outside sustainability consultant to enhance PCPC’s sustainability practice, including representing PCPC at various sustainability forums and making recommendations to engage with appropriate stakeholders.
- In partnership with Director, posts statements, news releases and other relevant content to the PCPC website. Manages online newsroom and makes determinations on appropriate content.
- Creates PowerPoint presentations for the department, working with the Director, including for Board and Committee meetings, webinars and quarterly member briefings, for approval by EVP.
- Manages outside vendors, including Beekeeper, Cision, GoogleAds, Hootsuite and PR Newswire, among others. Makes recommendations to EVP and Director for enhanced services.
- Manages all contact lists, including committees, press (national, local, beauty and trade), sister associations and international communications network.
- Coordinates public affairs committee meetings, prepares relevant handout materials and handles all logistics. Responsible for meeting minutes.
- Oversees department budget, including processing and tracking all expenses, invoicing and contracts; flags high spending and identifies opportunities for savings and/or new projects.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Communications, Written – Strong writing and verbal skills, with the ability to analyze and condense complex information, oftentimes on tight deadlines.
- Tactful – Ability to interact with all levels of staff and outside parties; excellent cross-cultural diplomacy skills.
- Privacy – Ability to handle confidential or sensitive issues and/or materials and is expected to maintain privacy and confidentiality of documents pertaining to program matters.
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Active Listening – Ability to actively attend to, convey and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Communications, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word with strong presentation skills.
- Creative – Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
- Customer Oriented – Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Honesty/Integrity – Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace and with member companies.
- Initiative – Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Working Under Pressure – Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations and meet tight deadlines.
- Interpersonal – Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor's Degree (four-year college)
Experience: 5-7 years of experience in public relations, communications and/or public affairs. Working knowledge of media relations with a significant emphasis on social and digital strategy. Agency experience preferred.
Technical Skills: Social media proficiency, Google Analytics/Google Ads, WordPress, Microsoft Suite, Adobe Suite (preferred), experience in graphic design (preferred)