The Washington Post is seeking a publicist to help the Communications team maximize the visibility of Post journalism and journalists during a time of rapid growth across the company. This position will have an essential role in supporting a 24/7 global news operation, working Sunday-Thursday 1-9:30pmET (remote work on Sunday; partial remote work option Mon-Thurs). The publicist will be responsible for planning, executing and managing all aspects of assigned newsroom publicity.
- Support and grow awareness for newsroom reporting and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain close and communicative relationships with broadcast producers and industry/beat reporters.
- Think creatively on promotional opportunities to encompass digital, broadcast and social media platforms.
- Identify and develop strategic publicity plans.
- Provide timely coverage reports to appropriate editors and reporters.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Excellent news judgment, communication and interpersonal skills, including writing, proofreading and speaking.
- Ability to establish rapport and develop credibility from colleagues and external business partners.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Careful attention to detail with good follow-through.
- Strategic, collaborative and creative thinker who can adapt and prioritize moment to moment.
- Dynamic self-starter with strong decision-making skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook, Cision or related journalist database.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- At least three (3) years of related work experience, interest in international news is a strong plus.