Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Minimum compensation: $62,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Media Manager on its Press team. The Senior Media Manager’s portfolio of work will support American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
The Senior Media Manager will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
About 75 percent of the Senior Media Manager’s time will be spent helping American Progress experts reach and engage young people as part of advancing the organization’s policy, advocacy, and communications priorities. Young Americans are a force for change in this country, and they are the most diverse and dynamic members of the U.S. economy and democracy. Generation Progress is the home for American Progress’ youth-focused work. Generation Progress highlights how policies affect—both help and harm—young Americans and works to engage them in advancing policy solutions to the nation’s biggest challenges. The Senior Media Manager will work with their Press team colleagues to develop relationships with youth-oriented reporters, columnists, and outlets and help generate strategic short- and long-term ideas for pitching.
The remaining 25 percent of the Senior Media Manager’s time will be spent working with other policy teams—as well as Digital Strategy and Government Affairs—as needed, as well as with colleagues on the Press team, to develop and implement media plans for American Progress initiatives.
- Work closely with key policy and advocacy teams to identify press opportunities around priorities that particularly affect young people or where the organization is pushing content aimed specifically at the under-35 audience.
- Develop and implement media plans for the organization’s policy work and coordinate with other functional teams, including Digital Strategy and Government Affairs, to develop overall outreach plans for this work.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices into an ever-changing daily news cycle, including pitching reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Assist with drafting youth-oriented op-eds, on occasion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of experience in communications, media relations, government, nonprofit work, or a related field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, a desire and willingness to stay on top of the daily news cycle, and an eye for great content.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial with strong problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of key stakeholders and thought leaders in progressive policy and politics.
- Possession of good news and editorial judgment.
- Strong organizational skills and close attention to detail.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Cision, and AP Style is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals as well as an interest in youth engagement.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is represented by IFTPE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $62,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Please apply through our website.