Chief Marketing & Communications Officer
Alliance for Safety and Justice
Flexible, with a preference for San Francisco Bay Area or New York
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy, advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also represents diverse victims of crime to advance policies that provide more safety and help, and people with old records to advance policies that provide more redemption and freedom. Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), which operates as ASJ's flagship state advocacy effort, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501(c)(4) arm of ASJ.
ASJ seeks a dynamic Chief Marketing & Communications Officer to significantly raise the visibility and influence of ASJ and bring the organization to new audiences. The safety and justice reform landscape is changing rapidly and it is a pivotal time for ASJ to grow new marketing and content strategies to help the organization reach new heights. The ideal candidate will have a deep connection to and passion for the mission of the organization and will be a creative force capable of generating new ideas and messages as well as new support from a wide range of sectors and stakeholders. This is an organization that engages in a tremendous amount of social change work, more than has been elevated to the broader public. We have the work on the ground, now we're looking to bring our leaders and solutions to the world on a larger scale.
The Chief Marketing & Communications Officer of the Alliance for Safety and Justice will have the following responsibilities:
Leadership to Advance High Impact Communications
- Lead a team of communications professionals to ensure the team achieves organizational benchmarks
- Ensure marketing and communications staff have the skills necessary to achieve their specific benchmarks
- Ensure that staff understand the mission and goals of the organization so deeply that they can independently make decisions that align with the organization's needs on a day-to-day basis
- Ensure that staff understand accountabilities, messaging priorities, policy details and goals, organizational champions and other information that positions them to meet benchmarks
- Support the programmatic leaders that are the face of the organization in meeting their communications needs and growing their visibility
- Pivot marketing and communications resources quickly when needed and maintain the highest level of communications excellence possible in a changing landscape
Brand Cultivation and Stewardship to Grow Visibility and Reach
- Drive brand awareness and development to ensure that the organization's recognition and reputation match its mission, reach and vision
- Cultivate ASJ's brand and leaders as visible, influential, and expert authorities on safety and go-to leaders through top-tier thought leadership and unique partnerships
- Ensure that the brand and reputation grow in visibility and impact along with the organization
- Develop and lead a sophisticated marketing strategy that reaches ASJ's base and target supporters with high impact products and messages that move audiences to take desired actions
- Build and maintain a ladder of engagement for ASJ that attracts attention to the organization, recruits new supporters, converts supporters to members and donors, and assist in efforts to develop donors to higher levels of giving
- Ensure communications stays up to date on political and cultural trends that affect ASJ's work
- Ensure ASJ stays on top of emerging trends in data and technology to ensure continued relevance in our communications approaches
- Utilize data, technology, and other sources of information provided by ASJ staff, board, supporters, members, and donors to maximize visibility and impact
- Oversee market and trend data analysis; recommend new strategies or adjustments to current programs, campaigns, and content/publications
Enrollment and Inspiration for both Internal and External Audiences
- Ensure that staff, contractors, and supporters are inspired and motivated to support ASJ's goals and spread ASJ messages
- Ensure that staff have a strong leader that offers clear direction that is also inspirational and enrolls staff in the communications vision behind their specific tasks
- Offer problem solving leadership, listen and coach staff to grow and develop
- Engage in effective cross-divisional partnerships, with an emphasis on development to ensure high impact communications and marketing for current and future donors and for our Board of Directors and Advisory Boards
Crisis Communications and Positional Communications in Response to Landscape Shifts
- Continually identify potential crisis communications situations or emerging developments in the political and media arena to leverage for ASJ's frame and solutions
- Create proactive responses or options to shape coverage or potentially mobilize members and support
- Ensure all communications staff maintain a strong crisis and landscape shift communications protocols and capabilities
With the understanding that no one person will offer every desired skill and characteristic outlined below, compelling candidates will offer much of the following:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in marketing and communications and a strong track record in strategic marketing and communications leadership, preferably related to criminal justice, public safety, racial and/or economic justice issues;
- Experience developing and implementing effective marketing plans and establishing brand awareness;
- Extensive experience recruiting, training and leading a multidisciplinary marketing and communications team in a fast-paced and rapidly shifting campaign environments and integrating immediate term communications priorities with longer-term communications strategies;
- Demonstrated commitment to leading communications staff and strategies with an equity, diversity and inclusion lens;
- Experience with nonprofit advocacy fundraising communications a plus;
- Proven track record using sound political judgment and serving as an advisor during political and communications crises;
- Experience as an on-the-record spokesperson a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to increase and leverage organizational visibility, credibility, and brand recognition through new, digital, and traditional media; and
- Experience working with diverse survivors of crime and/or communities and individuals directly impacted by crime, violence, and incarceration a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Safety and Justice offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit and paid sick, holiday and vacation leave.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Martens Roc of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request accommodation for the interview process.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application. Employment with Alliance for Safety and Justice is at-will. This means that employees are not guaranteed employment for a set time and that they or ASJ may end employment at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. No manager, supervisor, or employee of Alliance for Safety and Justice has the authority to enter into any agreement modifying the at-will nature of employment.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency